This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a new year, but for Marriott Rewards elites, unfortunately that means a new verse of the same song of IT and other post-integration issues. Marriott Rewards Platinum elites who achieve 50 eligible elite night credits typically have until Jan. 14 to select their “Annual Choice Benefit“. They get to choose one of five options:
- Five Suite Night Awards
- 40% off bed
- $100 Charity Donation
- The gift of Silver Elite status for a friend or family member
- Five Elite Night Credits
Those who hit 75 nights get to make an additional selection and have the added option of a free night award (up to 40,000 points per night). That’s all great, but the problem is that the portion of the Marriott website where you must select your annual choice benefit has been down since around the first of the year. There are just five days to go until the original annual Jan. 14 deadline to make your selection, and the website is still on vacation. I made my annual selection on Dec. 31, and the website worked just fine at that time, but seems I got lucky as TPG started receiving reports from readers the site was down very shortly thereafter.
If you do not make a selection, the default is for the suite night awards, which is likely the most common selection for families since suites are as good as gold on vacation.
However, the track record of using suite night awards isn’t stellar at all properties, so if you were in the market for a new Marriott-branded mattress or needed some elite night credits, etc. then you would need the website to work in order to make those choices.
However, as of today, the Marriott website now states that the deadline to make your annual selection has been extended to Feb. 7. It also states to check back the week of Jan. 14, so hopefully a fix is on the horizon. Marriott confirms to TPG that this information displayed on the website is accurate and they are currently implementing an update.
While you still can’t make your 2019 Marriott Rewards Annual Choice Benefit selection, Marriott is aware of the issue and a fix seems to be under way.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards