This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s a new year, but for Marriott Rewards elites, unfortunately that means a new verse of the same song of IT and other post-integration issues. Marriott Rewards Platinum elites who achieve 50 eligible elite night credits typically have until Jan. 14 to select their “Annual Choice Benefit“. They get to choose one of five options:
- Five Suite Night Awards
- 40% off bed
- $100 Charity Donation
- The gift of Silver Elite status for a friend or family member
- Five Elite Night Credits
Those who hit 75 nights get to make an additional selection and have the added option of a free night award (up to 40,000 points per night). That’s all great, but the problem is that the portion of the Marriott website where you must select your annual choice benefit has been down since around the first of the year. There are just five days to go until the original annual Jan. 14 deadline to make your selection, and the website is still on vacation. I made my annual selection on Dec. 31, and the website worked just fine at that time, but seems I got lucky as TPG started receiving reports from readers the site was down very shortly thereafter.
If you do not make a selection, the default is for the suite night awards, which is likely the most common selection for families since suites are as good as gold on vacation.
However, the track record of using suite night awards isn’t stellar at all properties, so if you were in the market for a new Marriott-branded mattress or needed some elite night credits, etc. then you would need the website to work in order to make those choices.
However, as of today, the Marriott website now states that the deadline to make your annual selection has been extended to Feb. 7. It also states to check back the week of Jan. 14, so hopefully a fix is on the horizon. Marriott confirms to TPG that this information displayed on the website is accurate and they are currently implementing an update.
While you still can’t make your 2019 Marriott Rewards Annual Choice Benefit selection, Marriott is aware of the issue and a fix seems to be under way.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees