Earn bonus points this summer on select purchases with your Marriott Bonvoy Amex credit card
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you currently hold the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card or Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (no longer open to new applicants), your earning potential just got more valuable for this summer. For a limited time — between July 14 and Sept. 30, 2021 — you’ll be able to earn a total of 6x Marriott Bonvoy points for eligible purchases in four different spend categories. This means up to 4 additional points earned, depending on the merchant.
The categories include:
- Car rentals purchased directly from select car rental companies
- Flights booked directly with airlines
- Gas at U.S. gas stations
- Transit, including purchases on taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains and buses
While this is a great way to increase your point balance for a much needed vacation, you are capped at earning up to 10,000 points in each category (for a total of up to 40,000 points). If you do end up hitting the cap in one or more of the categories, you’ll continue to earn at the normal earning rate — 3x points for eligible flights booked directly with airlines with the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant and 2x points for all other purchases.
Eligibility is limited for this offer, additionally, enrollment is required between now and Sept. 15, 2021 to earn the additional points, although only purchases after you enroll will earn the bonus points. You can find this bonus and enroll by navigating to the Amex Offers section of your online account. Terms Apply.
Are the limited-time perks worth it?
With Marriott Bonvoy points worth 0.8 cents per point, this means you are earning a 4.8% return on all purchases in these four categories. If you’re looking to earn hotel points, this is a great option, especially if you don’t have a better card for travel, gas or transit purchases. And if you’re able to earn the maximum amount of 40,000 points, this could give you up to 8 free nights — depending on the time of year and hotel category.
Note that this offer doesn’t apply to the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card — though existing holders of that card can currently earn statement credits of up to $15 back per month on U.S. wireless phone services (enrollment required).
If you are an existing card member of either of these two credit cards, make sure to enroll in the offer to start earning your extra points. While this will not help you if you are applying for a card in the near future (note that only the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant is available for new applications), similar offers pop up from time-to-time, so there’s a chance you could always be eligible for a different one in the future.
With a great earning potential potential, you might want to start swapping out your cards now and putting all eligible airfare, car rental, gas and transit purchases on your Amex Marriott card this summer — though be sure that earning Marriott points makes the most sense for your future travel goals.
Featured photo by Jorge Rodriguez/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees