Marriott offering members an elite night credit on their birthday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
If you travel frequently enough, eventually you’re going to end up spending your birthday on the road in a hotel. While a bottle of champagne and some cake would be a great way to celebrate, many award travelers would be just as happy getting a slightly less tangible gift.
MilesTalk has reported that Marriott has a tradition of sending targeted members a complimentary elite night credit on their birthdays. Unlike a free night certificate, you can’t cash this credit in for anything; all it does is help you qualify for Marriott elite status and maybe one day even earn lifetime elite status as well.
The only way you can claim your elite night credit is by contacting Marriott directly by phone.
However, in order to be eligible for this targeted giveaway you’ll need to go to your communication preferences and opt in to “news & program information.”
All members are eligible as long as they opt in to news and submit their birthday or other details.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How to earn Marriott elite status
Marriott Bonvoy has five tiers of elite status, which you qualify for based on the number of nights you stay in a year:
- Silver: 10 nights
- Gold: 25 nights
- Platinum: 50 nights
- Titanium: 75 nights
- Ambassador: 100 nights (and $20,000 in spending)
Depending on what tier you’re shooting for, one night might not make a huge difference or it might really move the needle. Even if you aren’t targeted for this promotion, there are several other great shortcuts to help you earn Marriott elite status faster.
If you hold any Marriott credit card — including the no-annual-fee Marriott Bonvoy Bold™ Credit Card, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Credit Card, the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card or the premium Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card — you’ll automatically earn 15 elite night credits per year. This is limited to one set of credits per Marriott account, so you can’t get more by having multiple credit cards. 15 elite night credits automatically gets you Marriott Silver status, and means you only need 35 nights in a hotel each year to earn Platinum.
You can also leapfrog directly to Gold status by holding the right credit card. Both the Bonvoy Brilliant and The Platinum Card® from American Express give out complimentary Marriott Gold status, and you can upgrade to Platinum by spending $75,000 a year on the Bonvoy Brilliant. Here’s our guide to deciding which Marriott credit card is right for you.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg/The Points Guy.
- Earn up to 70,000 bonus miles. Earn 60,000 bonus miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- New! Get ready for your next trip - spend $10,000 in purchases on your card in a calendar year and receive a $100 Delta Flight Credit to get you there sooner.
- Earn 2X Miles on Delta purchases, at restaurants worldwide and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $99.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees