Marriott offering members an elite night credit on their birthday
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
If you travel frequently enough, eventually you’re going to end up spending your birthday on the road in a hotel. While a bottle of champagne and some cake would be a great way to celebrate, many award travelers would be just as happy getting a slightly less tangible gift.
MilesTalk has reported that Marriott has a tradition of sending targeted members a complimentary elite night credit on their birthdays. Unlike a free night certificate, you can’t cash this credit in for anything; all it does is help you qualify for Marriott elite status and maybe one day even earn lifetime elite status as well.
The only way you can claim your elite night credit is by contacting Marriott directly by phone.
However, in order to be eligible for this targeted giveaway you’ll need to go to your communication preferences and opt in to “news & program information.”
All members are eligible as long as they opt in to news and submit their birthday or other details.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
How to earn Marriott elite status
Marriott Bonvoy has five tiers of elite status, which you qualify for based on the number of nights you stay in a year:
- Silver: 10 nights
- Gold: 25 nights
- Platinum: 50 nights
- Titanium: 75 nights
- Ambassador: 100 nights (and $20,000 in spending)
Depending on what tier you’re shooting for, one night might not make a huge difference or it might really move the needle. Even if you aren’t targeted for this promotion, there are several other great shortcuts to help you earn Marriott elite status faster.
If you hold any Marriott credit card — including the no-annual-fee Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card, the Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card or the premium Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card — you’ll automatically earn 15 elite night credits per year. This is limited to one set of credits per Marriott account, so you can’t get more by having multiple credit cards. 15 elite night credits automatically gets you Marriott Silver status, and means you only need 35 nights in a hotel each year to earn Platinum.
You can also leapfrog directly to Gold status by holding the right card. Both the Bonvoy Brilliant and The Platinum Card® from American Express give out complimentary Marriott Gold status (enrollment required), and you can upgrade to Platinum by spending $75,000 a calendar year on the Bonvoy Brilliant. Here’s our guide to deciding which Marriott credit card is right for you.
Featured photo by Ethan Steinberg/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.