This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest passengers on Tuesday’s Flight 337 from Chicago (MDW) to Albuquerque (ABQ) enjoyed a musical surprise at 35,000 feet when teen musicians from the Chicago Mariachi Project performed an impromptu concert on board.
The mariachi band members, who range in age from 13 to 18 years, were en-route to New Mexico to attend the annual Mariachi Spectacular de Albuquerque, an international conference celebrating the cultural art of mariachi. “The students are here to learn from the mariachi masters,” said Álvaro R. Obregón, the president of the Chicago Mariachi Project, who founded the group in 2013. “We’re a small non-profit, and we’re so proud of our students who last year won First Place at this national competition. Our students work so hard.”
At the conclusion of the in-flight concert, Southwest passengers enthusiastically applauded the Chicago Mariachi Project musicians and wished them well for their upcoming competition. The students, some of whom come from as far away as Indiana and a town near the Illinois-Wisconsin border, will be learning from and performing with mariachi musicians from around the world.
Featured image courtesy of the Chicago Mariachi Project.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees