This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest passengers on Tuesday’s Flight 337 from Chicago (MDW) to Albuquerque (ABQ) enjoyed a musical surprise at 35,000 feet when teen musicians from the Chicago Mariachi Project performed an impromptu concert on board.
The mariachi band members, who range in age from 13 to 18 years, were en-route to New Mexico to attend the annual Mariachi Spectacular de Albuquerque, an international conference celebrating the cultural art of mariachi. “The students are here to learn from the mariachi masters,” said Álvaro R. Obregón, the president of the Chicago Mariachi Project, who founded the group in 2013. “We’re a small non-profit, and we’re so proud of our students who last year won First Place at this national competition. Our students work so hard.”
At the conclusion of the in-flight concert, Southwest passengers enthusiastically applauded the Chicago Mariachi Project musicians and wished them well for their upcoming competition. The students, some of whom come from as far away as Indiana and a town near the Illinois-Wisconsin border, will be learning from and performing with mariachi musicians from around the world.
Featured image courtesy of the Chicago Mariachi Project.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards