Teen Musicians Surprise Southwest Passengers With In-Flight Mariachi Performance
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Southwest passengers on Tuesday’s Flight 337 from Chicago (MDW) to Albuquerque (ABQ) enjoyed a musical surprise at 35,000 feet when teen musicians from the Chicago Mariachi Project performed an impromptu concert on board.
The mariachi band members, who range in age from 13 to 18 years, were en-route to New Mexico to attend the annual Mariachi Spectacular de Albuquerque, an international conference celebrating the cultural art of mariachi. “The students are here to learn from the mariachi masters,” said Álvaro R. Obregón, the president of the Chicago Mariachi Project, who founded the group in 2013. “We’re a small non-profit, and we’re so proud of our students who last year won First Place at this national competition. Our students work so hard.”
At the conclusion of the in-flight concert, Southwest passengers enthusiastically applauded the Chicago Mariachi Project musicians and wished them well for their upcoming competition. The students, some of whom come from as far away as Indiana and a town near the Illinois-Wisconsin border, will be learning from and performing with mariachi musicians from around the world.
Featured image courtesy of the Chicago Mariachi Project.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees