Manhattan Is Getting a Beach — But You Won’t Want to Swim There
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Every summer, New Yorkers flee the city’s oppressive heat and head to the Hamptons, Coney Island or the Rockaways. But in three years, the isle of Manhattan will have a beach of its very own.
The Hudson River Park Trust has announced that it intends to turn the disused strip of the Gansevoort Peninsula at the southern end of the High Line into a 5.5-acre public park complete with a beach. Manhattan once had a well-used 13th Avenue, but today only a one-block stretch of it remains on the Gansevoort Peninsula. The Trust intends to preserve that last existing block for public use.
According to a statement released by the Trust, the section of park on the Gansevoort Peninsula will be “the largest single green space in the four-mile-long Hudson River Park and last remaining public-park pier (or peninsula) to be designed and constructed in the 550-acre park” when it opens in 2022 as part of a $990 million investment toward the completion of the park.
Fittingly, the Trust has hired James Corner Field Operations — the firm behind the High Line and Domino Park in Williamsburg — to revamp the site. The rocky shoreline will give people direct access to the Hudson River and provide a barrier against flooding and storm surge.
“Along Hudson River Park’s four miles, we’ve been able to showcase some of the best landscape architects in the field,” Madelyn Wils, president and CEO of the Hudson River Park Trust, said in the statement. “I’m pleased that the exceptional design firm, James Corner Field Operations, will join the ranks of the talented teams that have helped make Hudson River Park one of the great waterfront parks in the country.”
The plan fits with Mayor Bill de Blasio’s OneNYC plan and Climate Resiliency Design Guidelines, which were announced in 2017 to address the effects of climate change and storms such as Hurricane Sandy.
And what, exactly, can visitors expect? There will be plenty of recreation space, in addition to a public art installation created by David Hammonds and commissioned by the nearby Whitney Museum. If this portion of the waterfront is anything like Domino Park, it’ll be a popular spot for both locals and visitors, with areas to lounge, play and picnic.
We don’t recommend wading into the water, though. The Citizens’ Water Quality Testing Program routinely finds unacceptably high levels of fecal matter in samples taken along the Hudson River.
Maybe just stick to sunbathing instead.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees