Man With .40 Caliber Gun in Carry-On Arrested at BWI
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The Transportation Security Administration confiscated another loaded gun from a US airport security checkpoint over the weekend, this time at Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI).
According to the TSA, a Maryland man entered the line at the security checkpoint on Saturday and put his carry-on bag through the X-ray machine. Officers noticed that the bag contained a handgun and paged the Maryland Transportation Authority Police, who confiscated the firearm and arrested the man on weapons charges.
The .40 caliber handgun was loaded with 12 bullets.
It’s the 12th gun authorities have confiscated at BWI this year alone. A similar situation occurred just two days earlier at BWI when another Maryland man was arrested for bringing a gun to the TSA checkpoint. A similar situation occurred in May when a woman tried to get her pink 9mm handgun through security at Richmond International Airport (RIC). She was also arrested on criminal weapons charges.
Under TSA regulations, passengers may only transport unloaded firearms in locked, hard-sided containers in checked baggage. Flyers must also declare the firearm and/or ammunition to the airline when checking the bag. The TSA also recommends passengers research local laws for all legs of their trips as well as contact their airline before traveling because sometimes their rules differ from TSA.
Passengers who bring a gun to a TSA checkpoint (even if it’s not loaded) could be charged up to a $13,000 fine in addition to being arrested. Repeat offenders could face even higher fines.
From the week of June 4 – 10 (the last week that numbers are available), the TSA found 78 firearms in carry-on bags at airports around the country. Of those 78 guns, 61 were loaded and 25 had a round chambered. In 2017, TSA found a record number of firearms at checkpoints: 3,957 in the course of the year.
Featured image by Scott Olson/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees