Man Sews Carry-on Coat as Loophole to New Ryanair Bag Policy
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In what might be the most round-about way to execute a loophole of all time, airline passenger Lee Cimino has cracked the code to beating Ryanair’s newest baggage policy.
The policy made its debut on Thursday, Nov. 1, and introduced a £8 ($10.40) fee to check a 10kg (22 lbs) bag (which passengers used to be able to carryon for free), or flyers can now pay £6 ($7.80) for priority boarding. To “make up” for the new fee, the budget airliner increased the permissible size of their (still free) “personal bag” by 40%. However, not everyone is pleased.
“I love Ryanair, they’ve flown me all over,” says Lee Cimino in a video he took documenting his loophole. “It’s always on time. It runs like clockwork.” Yet, after discovering that his birthday trip to Belfast was scheduled two days after the new baggage policy was officially up-and-running, Cimino felt as if Ryanair had taken it “too far.” So, as a means of avoiding extra fees (and maybe sticking it to the man a bit, as well,) Cimino invented his own, “foolproof” solution to the problem.
Using an old beige trenchcoat dug up from his closet and the sewing skills of local tailor “Sew Wot?”, Cimino created a custom coat that does the same job as a 10kg piece of luggage. Decked out with sewn-in toiletry bags, extra pants and a plethora of unique compartments and pockets for optimal storage, the converted coat cost Cimino somewhere between £25-30 ($33-51). More expensive than the new checked bag policy, but at least he’ll only have to pay for it one time.
When the big day rolled around, Cimino and his custom carryon jacket arrived at Manchester Airport (MAN) for his 8:30am flight to Belfast (BFS). He had no qualms getting through security. And, despite the bulkiness of the coat (“It sticks out like a mile,” states Cimino in the video) — he boarded the plane without any questions. “The worry and the nerves were something else, but I got to the gate and boarded the plane with zero issues,” said Cimino to The Independent. When there’s a will, there’s a way.
In response to the video, Ryanair released a statement that said: “Thanks to our larger free small bag allowance (40 percent bigger) and cheaper checked-in bag option (£8 for a 10kg bag), Ryanair customers can bring all they need without having to board the aircraft looking like the Michelin Man or Joey from Friends.”
Featured image by Omar Marques/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees