Man Sentenced to 2 Years in Prison for Hitting Delta Crew, Passengers with Wine Bottle
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A 24-year-old Florida man who brandished a wine bottle to beat a Delta flight crew and other passengers on board was sentenced to two years in prison on Tuesday in a Seattle federal court.
Joseph D. Hudek IV was charged with one count of interfering with a flight-crew member and three counts of assault on an aircraft — charges he previously pleaded guilty to in February after starting a mid-flight brawl on a Delta flight 129 from Seattle (SEA) to Beijing (PEK) in July 2017.
According to Hudek’s lawyer, before the bizarre and violent incident, Hudek ingested at least three (possibly more) 10-gram marijuana laced candies before boarding the long-haul flight. Hudek’s lawyer said it was to help him sleep, but instead caused Hudek to suffer “marijuana-induced psychosis,” including delusions and hallucinations.
Hudek apologized in court for his behavior on the flight. “I’m deeply sorry for everything that’s happened,” he said.
Regardless of his state of mind, Hudek became unruly during the flight. He was flying in the Delta One premium cabin on a “dependent pass” because his mother worked for Delta (she has since lost her job). According to the lawsuit complaint, he emerged from the lavatory and tried to open the emergency exit door in mid-air.
He “lunged toward the forward right exit door of the aircraft, grabbed the handle, and attempted to open it,” according to the complaint. Two Delta flight attendants attempted to grab him and stop him, but he pushed them away and kept trying to open the door.
In the melee, Hudek punched a flight attendant twice in the face, hit a male passenger attempting to restrain him with the wine bottle and punched him twice. Eventually passengers and flight attendants were able to get zip ties around his hands, but he remained combative, and multiple passengers were needed to keep him restrained while the flight returned to Seattle (SEA).
Federal prosecutors said Hudek’s behavior put the plane’s 209 other passengers’ and 11 flight crews’ lives in jeopardy.
“He recklessly created a risk that endangered all the individuals flying at 30,000 feet on that flight that day,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Stephen Hobbs told the court.
Earlier this year, a Texas man was held on a $10,000 bond and charged with battery for punching an American Airlines flight attendant in the face.
H/T: The Seattle Times
Featured photo: FBI via U.S. Attorney’s Office in Seattle via AP
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees