Rookie Mistake: Retiree Banks 370,000 Aeroplan Miles — Then Loses Them All
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Chris French, who says he has been a member of Aeroplan for 35 years and logged nearly one million miles with Air Canada, said he missed the deadline to keep his miles current by two weeks.
Most airline frequent flyer programs require some type of activity in the past 12 to 36 months typically in order to stay active. That activity can be earning, redeeming or gifting miles in most cases. French said he noticed the miles were missing when he went to book a ticket and noticed his account balance had been reset to zero because of the lack of activity in the account.
Aeroplan is sticking to its policy in French’s case, saying that French can have the miles reinstated for 1.0 cents per mile, or $3,700, something French said he is unwilling to do. TPG currently values Aeroplan miles at 1.5 cents per mile, meaning the account was worth around $5,500.
It’s always a good idea, especially if you have a large bank of miles like French did, to make sure you keep your account active. Remember you don’t actually have to fly to earn miles — most major frequent flyer programs have co-branded credit cards, some of which don’t have an annual fee. Simply making a small monthly purchase with one of these cards is enough to keep activity on your account, and keep the account active.
Want to make sure you keep your account active even if you’re not flying? Check out our guide to keeping your points and miles from expiring.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured Photo by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees