Man Booked on Doomed Lion Air Flight Spared by Jakarta’s Traffic
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Jakarta’s infamous traffic saved this man’s life.
Sony Setiawan, an Indonesian man who works for the country’s finance ministry, was booked to fly on Monday’s ill-fated Lion Air flight JT610, which crashed in the Java Sea minutes after takeoff, but he got stuck in traffic and missed the flight.
“I usually take (Flight) JT610 — my friends and I always take this plane,” the man told AFP on Monday. Setiawan says that he was stuck on a toll road for hours trying to get to Jakarta’s Soekarno–Hatta International Airport (CKG) to make the flight, which left for Pangkal Pinang (PGK) at 6:20am local time. The Boeing 737 MAX 8 lost contact with air traffic controllers and crashed 13 minutes after takeoff.
“I don’t know why the traffic at the toll road was so bad,” Setiawan continued. “I usually arrive in Jakarta at 3am, but this morning I arrived at the airport at 6:20am, and I missed the flight.”
Indonesia’s finance ministry has said 20 staff members from the government agency were on the flight — Setiawan’s colleagues — who were returning to their posts in Pangkal Pinang after spending the weekend with their families in Jakarta. Setiawan boarded a second flight to PGK and only heard about the crash when he landed safely.
“The first time I heard I cried,” Setiawan said of the crash. “I know my friends were on that flight.”
His family was overcome with relief and emotion when they heard he was safe. “My family was in shock, and my mother cried, but I told them I was safe, so I just have to be grateful,” he said.
The cause of the crash still remains unknown, but at least six bodies have been recovered from the Java Sea, along with aircraft debris believed to be the plane’s tail and some passengers’ personal belongings.
Featured image by RONI BAYU/AFP/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.