Man Attempts to Smuggle 5,000 Live Leeches Into Toronto Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Adding to the long list of strange and or disturbing things travelers have tried to sneak by airport security, we have a new entry that ranks in the higher end of the group: 5,000 live leeches.
The creepy crawlers were found at Toronto Pearson International Airport in the luggage of a Canadian man who had just returned from a trip to Russia. He was caught by a border patrol beagle that was on duty for the Canada Border Services Agency. When the dog took a seat next to the bag, Toronto airport security knew something was up. That’s when they opened the luggage containing 5,000 live, slimy parasites.
Since the incident isn’t public record (the ordeal actually occurred in October 2018 and the man is still awaiting trial), not much is known about the motive behind why the man attempted to sneak 5,000 leeches from Russia. However, National Geographic confirmed that he was charged for “illegally importing an internationally regulated species without obtaining the proper permits” rather than smuggling since he was not actively attempting to conceal the leeches.
Featured image via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.