Man Jumps Fence at LAX, Sprints Onto Runway Toward Delta Plane
A man was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Monday after scaling a fence and sprinting onto a runway as a Delta Air Lines aircraft prepared to takeoff.
Around 2:00pm PT, a man later identified as 23-year-old Luis Aguilar, scaled a fence near Lincoln and Sepulveda boulevards at the northernmost part of the airport, according to ABC News. Officers quickly responded and apprehended Aguilar on runway 24 Left, arrested him and removed him from the scene in a police car.
“Airport Police observed a male scale the outer perimeter fence at Lincoln near Sepulveda,” said Rob Pedregon, Los Angeles Airport Police’s public information officer. “United converged on the man who approached a Delta aircraft staging for departure. Airport Police have taken him into custody and are conducting an investigation.”
Comedian Chad Ridgely was reportedly on board the Delta flight attempting to depart and tweeted that the man “ran onto the runway and started doing push-ups.” Ridgely included an unconfirmed photo from the incident, where Aguilar appears to be in custody.
Aguilar, who is reportedly homeless and has mental health issues, was charged with trespassing, police said. He will receive a mental health evaluation when released by police.
In June, a man stripped down to his underwear, climbed over a fence and ran onto the tarmac at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL). The man in that incident was arrested for criminal trespassing, public indecency and obstruction of law enforcement officers.
Featured image Kevork Djansezian / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.