Man Jumps Fence at LAX, Sprints Onto Runway Toward Delta Plane
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A man was arrested at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) on Monday after scaling a fence and sprinting onto a runway as a Delta Air Lines aircraft prepared to takeoff.
Around 2:00pm PT, a man later identified as 23-year-old Luis Aguilar, scaled a fence near Lincoln and Sepulveda boulevards at the northernmost part of the airport, according to ABC News. Officers quickly responded and apprehended Aguilar on runway 24 Left, arrested him and removed him from the scene in a police car.
“Airport Police observed a male scale the outer perimeter fence at Lincoln near Sepulveda,” said Rob Pedregon, Los Angeles Airport Police’s public information officer. “United converged on the man who approached a Delta aircraft staging for departure. Airport Police have taken him into custody and are conducting an investigation.”
Comedian Chad Ridgely was reportedly on board the Delta flight attempting to depart and tweeted that the man “ran onto the runway and started doing push-ups.” Ridgely included an unconfirmed photo from the incident, where Aguilar appears to be in custody.
Aguilar, who is reportedly homeless and has mental health issues, was charged with trespassing, police said. He will receive a mental health evaluation when released by police.
In June, a man stripped down to his underwear, climbed over a fence and ran onto the tarmac at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL). The man in that incident was arrested for criminal trespassing, public indecency and obstruction of law enforcement officers.
Featured image Kevork Djansezian / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees