Malta is paying some travelers to go on holiday this summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After planning to lift most travel restrictions related to COVID-19 by June 1, Malta is now looking at ways to revive its tourism industry.
In light of doing that, Malta plans to offer incoming tourists a handout of up to $238 when they book a local hotel through the hotel website for a minimum of two nights, Tourism Minister Clayton Bartolo announced last week.
The total compensation offered to a traveler is determined by the hotel’s ranking. Where a five-star property will get you the full 200 euro, a four-star hotel will get you 150 euro (about $179) and a three-star hotel will get you 100 euro (about $119). The compensation can be upped an extra 10% by booking a hotel on the Maltese island of Gozo, just north of the main island, according to Reuters.
Malta plans to reopen to fully vaccinated Britons as of June 1, with their vaccination card as proof. It’s possible that the country could reopen to American tourists in the not-too-distant future.
When looking at vaccination levels, Malta is one of the safest EU countries to plan travel to. It’s already given at least one dose of a vaccine to 42% of adults as of last week. Given the successful vaccination program, Malta ranks as one of the highest in the EU in terms of overall vaccination levels. The positivity rate, reflecting the number of tests returning a positive result, has fallen to a low 2.6%.
Malta has been steadily relying on tourism as an important source of income, directly and indirectly accounting for more than 27% of the Maltese economy. In 2020, visitor numbers fell by more than 80%. Malta’s Tourism Authority is aiming to benefit some 35,000 travelers with this scheme.
Featured photo by Barry Winiker/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.