Fire Destroys Villas at Top-Rated Maldives Property
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A fire broke out at one of the Maldive’s top rated hotels this past Wednesday. The Telegraph is reporting that a fire destroyed seven luxury villas at Gili Lankanfushi Resort. Gili Lankanfushi is a popular resort located on the North Male Atoll. The resort features just 45 overwater villas and is currently ranked as the top hotel in all of the Maldives, according to Trip Advisor. The Gili Lankanfushi overwater villas start at $3800 USD per night, while some villas cost more than $5,000 USD per night. The fire has forced the resort to close and all guests to relocate to other hotels and resorts.
No one was injured when the fire hit the island resort on Wednesday night. However, guests were sent fleeing the 45 overwater villas as the fire tore through the wooden walkways and luxury accommodations. The fire was fueled by unusually strong winds. The strong winds also helped the fire to jump from the overwater villas onto the island, destroying a restaurant at the resort.
The fire took firefighters more than six hours to extinguish, partly due to the strong winds. While the fire was extinguished and no one was injured, the resort has confirmed that it will remain closed for the foreseeable future. The resort is contacting guests with future reservations to assist in finding alternate accommodations. The resort has also confirmed that it is assisting guests who were on the property at the time of the fire in finding alternate accommodations for the remainder of their stay.
The cause of the fire is not yet known. The Maldives National Defence Force stated that it has dispatched a team to investigate. Gili Lankanfushi management has provided a full press statement regarding the fire. The hotel hopes to open sometime later this year.
H/T: The Telegraph
Featured image by joningall/Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3 points per dollar on the first $150,000 in combined spending on travel, shipping purchases, internet, cable and phone services, and advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines.
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent on travel and select business categories each account anniversary year
- Earn 1 point per $1 on all other purchases–with no limit to the amount you can earn
- Points are worth 25% more when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards
- Redeem points for travel, cash back, gift cards and more – your points don't expire as long as your account is open
- No foreign transaction fees
- Employee cards at no additional cost
- $95 Annual Fee