Malaysia Airlines Flight Attendant Caught Smuggling $1.4 Million of Heroin
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A flight attendant was arrested in Melbourne, Australia, after allegedly attempting to smuggle $1.4 million of heroin into the country.
The Herald Sun reports that in May, a Malaysia Airlines flight attendant was detained by airport police in Melbourne Tullamarine International Airport (MEL) after trying to sneak in nearly eight pounds of heroin.
The flight attendant, 33, is a Malaysian national and was behaving “suspiciously” after grabbing his checked luggage from the baggage carousel. The flight attendant had opened his bag and stuffed multiple packages into his jacket.
“It looked like he knew something was about to happen. He went to the bag but left it at the carousel for a few minutes,” a witness of the event told the Herald Sun.
Police arrested the flight attendant, who had flown in from Kuala Lumpur (KUL), in front of other travelers. They found 10 plastic-wrapped packets of heroin inside the man’s jacket.
The flight attendant was “charged with importing a commercial quantity of a border controlled drug and possessing a commercial quantity of an unlawfully imported border control drug.”
The rest of the Malaysia Airlines crew was held at the airport and questioned regarding the incident.
Flight crew are typically subject to less security screening than a normal flyer, making it easier for them to smuggle contraband through airport checkpoints.
This isn’t the first time a flight crew member has been caught trying to smuggle illegal contraband. In 2016, three Malaysian staff members were arrested smuggling tortoise in Bangladesh. Earlier this year, a Jet Airways flight attendant was arrested after being caught red-handed with $500,000 in cash.
TPG has reached out to the airline for comment but did not hear back by time of publication.
Featured image by Mohd Samsul Mohd Said / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.