A Major Upgrade Is Coming to Some British Airways Flights This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month we learned that British Airways wants to wet lease three A330 aircraft from Qatar Airways this summer to reduce operation disruptions caused by ongoing engine issues with some Boeing 787s. Qatar Airways owns a 20% stake in IAG Group, the parent company of British Airways, and has leased BA A320s during a strike last year, so this request was not completely out of the blue. Additionally, the carrier has a lot of spare short-haul aircraft at the moment, due to the suspension of its flights to Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt.
We now know that Qatar Airways has been approved by the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority to fly for British Airways and will operate the following routes:
- BA157/156 London to Kuwait from June 9 – June 30, 2018
- BA79/80 London to Muscat from June 9 – August 20, 2018
- BA143/142 Delhi to London Heathrow from June 9 – August 20, 2018
These flights are normally operated by British Airways’ 787-9s with first class, business class, premium economy, and economy, but Qatar’s A330s which will be used for these routes only have have economy and business class. To compensate those affected by the aircraft changes, the airline will refund the difference in fare and offer the following:
- 700GBP in travel credits or 140,000 Avios (worth $2,100 according to TPG’s latest valuations) per sector for those downgraded from First to Business
- 400GBP in travel credits or 80,000 Avios (worth $1,200 according to TPG’s latest valuations) per sector for those downgraded from Business to Economy
- 20,000 Avios (worth $300 according to TPG’s latest valuations) per sector for those downgraded from Premium Economy to Economy, but only for those who with at least Bronze Executive Club status
Alternatively, first, business and premium economy passengers who don’t wish to fly on a Qatar Airways-operated flight may cancel their tickets for a full refund.
Overall, these are great news for anyone affected by the equipment change — including for those in economy. Since British Airways will use the aircraft on a wet-lease basis, Qatar Airways crew will be operating the flights and passengers will experience superior food and beverage options onboard. A TPG contributor flew British Airways the last time it wet-leased planes from Qatar Airways and described it as a real upgrade for passengers.
If British Airways will be getting the -300 variant of the A330, business class passengers can expect fully flat beds in a 2-2-2 configuration (British Airways’ Dreamliners have a 2-3-2 configuration). However, if its the -200s, business passengers will find themselves with angle-flat seats.
British Airways originally requested to lease the aircraft through September 30, 2018 so it’s not yet clear what will happen after August 20th.
Featured photo by turbo83 / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.