A Major Upgrade Is Coming to Some British Airways Flights This Summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last month we learned that British Airways wants to wet lease three A330 aircraft from Qatar Airways this summer to reduce operation disruptions caused by ongoing engine issues with some Boeing 787s. Qatar Airways owns a 20% stake in IAG Group, the parent company of British Airways, and has leased BA A320s during a strike last year, so this request was not completely out of the blue. Additionally, the carrier has a lot of spare short-haul aircraft at the moment, due to the suspension of its flights to Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt.
We now know that Qatar Airways has been approved by the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority to fly for British Airways and will operate the following routes:
- BA157/156 London to Kuwait from June 9 – June 30, 2018
- BA79/80 London to Muscat from June 9 – August 20, 2018
- BA143/142 Delhi to London Heathrow from June 9 – August 20, 2018
These flights are normally operated by British Airways’ 787-9s with first class, business class, premium economy, and economy, but Qatar’s A330s which will be used for these routes only have have economy and business class. To compensate those affected by the aircraft changes, the airline will refund the difference in fare and offer the following:
- 700GBP in travel credits or 140,000 Avios (worth $2,100 according to TPG’s latest valuations) per sector for those downgraded from First to Business
- 400GBP in travel credits or 80,000 Avios (worth $1,200 according to TPG’s latest valuations) per sector for those downgraded from Business to Economy
- 20,000 Avios (worth $300 according to TPG’s latest valuations) per sector for those downgraded from Premium Economy to Economy, but only for those who with at least Bronze Executive Club status
Alternatively, first, business and premium economy passengers who don’t wish to fly on a Qatar Airways-operated flight may cancel their tickets for a full refund.
Overall, these are great news for anyone affected by the equipment change — including for those in economy. Since British Airways will use the aircraft on a wet-lease basis, Qatar Airways crew will be operating the flights and passengers will experience superior food and beverage options onboard. A TPG contributor flew British Airways the last time it wet-leased planes from Qatar Airways and described it as a real upgrade for passengers.
If British Airways will be getting the -300 variant of the A330, business class passengers can expect fully flat beds in a 2-2-2 configuration (British Airways’ Dreamliners have a 2-3-2 configuration). However, if its the -200s, business passengers will find themselves with angle-flat seats.
British Airways originally requested to lease the aircraft through September 30, 2018 so it’s not yet clear what will happen after August 20th.
Featured photo by turbo83 / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees