This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Ride-hailing companies are changing the way our society moves, in cities and even between them. Both Uber and Lyft have already partnered with local governments to provide subsidized rides in lieu of public transportation.
Now Lyft has partnered with Martha’s Table, a Washington DC non-profit, to provide heavily discounted rides to families living in food deserts.
“Food deserts are defined as parts of the country void of fresh fruit, vegetables, and other healthful whole foods, usually found in impoverished areas,” according to the DC Policy Center and Lyft. “This is largely due to a lack of grocery stores, farmers’ markets, and healthy food providers.”
150,000 people currently reside in DC’s Wards 7 and 8, where they have access to just three grocery stores. 81% of those residents are in areas far enough away from the grocery stores to be classified as living in a food desert.
The Lyft Grocery Access Program will identify 500 families to join the program and participants will receive codes to travel to participating grocery stores or Martha’s Table, which also provides meals to low-income families.
Families will receive 50 rides priced at $2.50 each (and aren’t subject to surge pricing) from Jan. 1 through June 30, 2019. That’s an estimated cost of just $5 per week, per family.
To qualify families “must have a child enrolled at one of the seven participating elementary schools or Martha’s Table programming and attend an in-person orientation with Martha’s Table and Lyft.” To see more information on the program and to sign-up, head to the Lyft Grocery Access Program splash page.
Lyft says it may expand the program in January.
Featured image by Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images for Lyft.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards