Lyft Offers $550 for People Across US to Give up Their Cars
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lyft is bringing its car ditching challenge to more cities around the US.
“#DitchWithLyft,” a program originally based solely in Chicago, challenged 100 selected participants to ditch their cars for $550 in alternate ride vouchers such as bikes, rental cars and the Lyft app itself for 30 days. After the challenge concluded, 90% of participants reported that they felt they no longer felt the need to drive themselves to places such as the gym, work or “out.”
Now, the challenge is going cross-country. Lyft, in collaboration with Zipcar and CitiBike, announced that starting Oct. 8 and concluding Nov. 6, 50 participants in 35 major US cities will be able to take part in #DitchWithLyft. Selection of participants will be at random, using the same “honor system” the original Chicago challenge went by. The $445 in travel vouchers will be divided as such:
- $300 Lyft Shared credit
- 1 month Zipcar membership & free activation, plus $100 drive credit
- $14.95 Citi Bike credit
With ridesharing apps spanning to different modes of transportation like scooters and bikes, one of the challenge’s main objectives is to nudge commuters out of their previous, long-established ideas of how to get from one place to another. Lyft is among the ridesharing apps that have delved into new forms of transportation, seeking permits to start an electric scooter sharing service in San Fransisco.
See if your city is participating in #DitchWithLyft and sign up (if you’re up for the challenge) here.
Featured image by Michael Bezjian via Getty Images for WanderLuxxe
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.