Lyft Offers $550 for People Across US to Give up Their Cars
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lyft is bringing its car ditching challenge to more cities around the US.
“#DitchWithLyft,” a program originally based solely in Chicago, challenged 100 selected participants to ditch their cars for $550 in alternate ride vouchers such as bikes, rental cars and the Lyft app itself for 30 days. After the challenge concluded, 90% of participants reported that they felt they no longer felt the need to drive themselves to places such as the gym, work or “out.”
Now, the challenge is going cross-country. Lyft, in collaboration with Zipcar and CitiBike, announced that starting Oct. 8 and concluding Nov. 6, 50 participants in 35 major US cities will be able to take part in #DitchWithLyft. Selection of participants will be at random, using the same “honor system” the original Chicago challenge went by. The $445 in travel vouchers will be divided as such:
- $300 Lyft Shared credit
- 1 month Zipcar membership & free activation, plus $100 drive credit
- $14.95 Citi Bike credit
With ridesharing apps spanning to different modes of transportation like scooters and bikes, one of the challenge’s main objectives is to nudge commuters out of their previous, long-established ideas of how to get from one place to another. Lyft is among the ridesharing apps that have delved into new forms of transportation, seeking permits to start an electric scooter sharing service in San Fransisco.
See if your city is participating in #DitchWithLyft and sign up (if you’re up for the challenge) here.
Featured image by Michael Bezjian via Getty Images for WanderLuxxe
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.