This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Lyft announced that it reached a major milestone — to date, Lyft riders have tipped drivers $500 million.
That’s not to say that it didn’t take a while to get there. Tipping was first introduced to the ride-hailing app in 2012. From there, it took four years for passengers to reach the first $100 million milestone. After that, tipping soared and more than half of the $500 million tips to date were raised in 2017. And with only four months into 2018, passengers have already tipped $100 million bringing the total to $500 million.
Additionally, Lyft reported the best times for drivers to score a tip. Pro-tip: The night owl makes the most tips. The highest rated times are Monday through Friday between 7:00 and 10:00am and 4:00 to 7:00pm; Friday between 5:00pm and 2:00am; Saturday between 7:00pm and 2:00am; and Sunday between 11:00am and 2:00pm. During these times, drivers are 35% – 40% more likely to receive a tip.
As for the city with the most generous tippers…New York City took the top spot. The city also snagged the spot for Lyft’s highest tipper with one person tipping $1,000. Atlanta, Tampa, Pittsburg and San Jose followed NYC for highest tipping cities.
Tips increased by 8% in 2017 after Lyft made it easier to tip drivers by having a pop-up menu of tip amounts after a ride is completed.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees