Lyft Drivers Have Earned $500 Million in Tips
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Lyft announced that it reached a major milestone — to date, Lyft riders have tipped drivers $500 million.
That’s not to say that it didn’t take a while to get there. Tipping was first introduced to the ride-hailing app in 2012. From there, it took four years for passengers to reach the first $100 million milestone. After that, tipping soared and more than half of the $500 million tips to date were raised in 2017. And with only four months into 2018, passengers have already tipped $100 million bringing the total to $500 million.
Additionally, Lyft reported the best times for drivers to score a tip. Pro-tip: The night owl makes the most tips. The highest rated times are Monday through Friday between 7:00 and 10:00am and 4:00 to 7:00pm; Friday between 5:00pm and 2:00am; Saturday between 7:00pm and 2:00am; and Sunday between 11:00am and 2:00pm. During these times, drivers are 35% – 40% more likely to receive a tip.
As for the city with the most generous tippers…New York City took the top spot. The city also snagged the spot for Lyft’s highest tipper with one person tipping $1,000. Atlanta, Tampa, Pittsburg and San Jose followed NYC for highest tipping cities.
Tips increased by 8% in 2017 after Lyft made it easier to tip drivers by having a pop-up menu of tip amounts after a ride is completed.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.