Lyft Drivers Have Earned $500 Million in Tips
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Lyft announced that it reached a major milestone — to date, Lyft riders have tipped drivers $500 million.
That’s not to say that it didn’t take a while to get there. Tipping was first introduced to the ride-hailing app in 2012. From there, it took four years for passengers to reach the first $100 million milestone. After that, tipping soared and more than half of the $500 million tips to date were raised in 2017. And with only four months into 2018, passengers have already tipped $100 million bringing the total to $500 million.
Additionally, Lyft reported the best times for drivers to score a tip. Pro-tip: The night owl makes the most tips. The highest rated times are Monday through Friday between 7:00 and 10:00am and 4:00 to 7:00pm; Friday between 5:00pm and 2:00am; Saturday between 7:00pm and 2:00am; and Sunday between 11:00am and 2:00pm. During these times, drivers are 35% – 40% more likely to receive a tip.
As for the city with the most generous tippers…New York City took the top spot. The city also snagged the spot for Lyft’s highest tipper with one person tipping $1,000. Atlanta, Tampa, Pittsburg and San Jose followed NYC for highest tipping cities.
Tips increased by 8% in 2017 after Lyft made it easier to tip drivers by having a pop-up menu of tip amounts after a ride is completed.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.