This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On Monday, Lyft announced that it reached a major milestone — to date, Lyft riders have tipped drivers $500 million.
That’s not to say that it didn’t take a while to get there. Tipping was first introduced to the ride-hailing app in 2012. From there, it took four years for passengers to reach the first $100 million milestone. After that, tipping soared and more than half of the $500 million tips to date were raised in 2017. And with only four months into 2018, passengers have already tipped $100 million bringing the total to $500 million.
Additionally, Lyft reported the best times for drivers to score a tip. Pro-tip: The night owl makes the most tips. The highest rated times are Monday through Friday between 7:00 and 10:00am and 4:00 to 7:00pm; Friday between 5:00pm and 2:00am; Saturday between 7:00pm and 2:00am; and Sunday between 11:00am and 2:00pm. During these times, drivers are 35% – 40% more likely to receive a tip.
As for the city with the most generous tippers…New York City took the top spot. The city also snagged the spot for Lyft’s highest tipper with one person tipping $1,000. Atlanta, Tampa, Pittsburg and San Jose followed NYC for highest tipping cities.
Tips increased by 8% in 2017 after Lyft made it easier to tip drivers by having a pop-up menu of tip amounts after a ride is completed.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards