This Airport Ranked as the Worst in the UK for the Third Year in a Row
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
London Luton Airport (LTN) was ranked as the worst UK airport for the third year in a row. A survey conducted by Which? in April and May asked 11,265 passengers to rate their satisfaction while traveling through UK airports within the past year. The participants were asked about everything from the wait times to the cleanliness of toilets.
Luton Airport received a low customer service satisfaction score of 35% — Which? attributed this score to the airport’s “disastrous customer service, queues at passport control and poor facilities.” The airport disagreed with the Which? survey outcome. Nick Barton, the airport’s CEO, expressed in a statement that the survey only polled 521 people about LTN, while over one million passengers in the first half of 2018 responded to LTN’s own survey, and 70% said they were happy with their experience.
Barton went on to explain that the airport has been working to improve passengers’ experiences. The airport recently opened 30 new shops and restaurants and added nearly 1,000 new seats throughout the terminal and doubled the size of the security checkpoint.
The Which? survey ranked Doncaster Sheffield Airport (DSA) as the best UK airport for the second year in a row. The airport received a customer satisfaction score of 87%, and the survey claimed passengers “praised the airport’s short queues, facilities and speedy baggage reclaim process.”
Heathrow Airport (LHR) came in with a satisfaction score of 63%. The survey explained that passenger experiences at LHR depended on which terminal they used; T3 was rated the worst overall and passengers were not happy with immigration queues and the limited range of shops and restaurants.
The survey’s travel editor, Rory Boland, concluded that passengers should pick a smaller airport, if they have the option, in order to make their trip as smooth as possible .
Featured image by Barcroft / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees