Lufthansa is offering Oktoberfest-themed flights again
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
Still thinking of hitting up Oktoberfest in Germany this October? If so, there are some flights that are much more exciting choice than most all others.
As it has done in years past, the German airline Lufthansa will celebrate Oktoberfest in the air. This year, crews on two long-haul flights will leave their uniforms at home and instead wear traditional Bavarian garb. These long-haul flights include:
- September 23: Munich to Beijing, flight LH722
- October 3, 2019: Munich to Los Angeles, flight LH452
Intra-Europe passengers aren’t shut out from a similar experience. A select number of routes from Munich will also have crews that take off in traditional dress. Those destinations include Amsterdam, Lyon, Gdansk, Milan, Sofia, Brussels, Ancona, Belgrade, Warsaw, Cologne and Munster.
According to Lufthansa, the flight to Los Angeles aboard an A380-800 will include the largest “Trachten” (Bavarian style) crew of all time. Twenty-one flight attendants will don traditional Bavarian clothes tailored by Angermaier. Female flight attends will wear dark blue dirndls with silver-gray aprons and the men will wear lederhosen and dark blue vests to complement the dirndls. We have asked Lufthansa if kegs of beer will again be onboard as they have been in the past, though no word on that yet.
While we couldn’t find award availability on the flight from Munich to Los Angeles on Star Alliance partners when we looked, paid seats are for sale. If you think that flying back to the U.S. from Germany on this flight would be a kick, keep watching for award space to possibly open up.
Alternatively, consider using some of your fixed-value points, like Chase Ultimate Rewards or American Express Membership Rewards, to book this flight at the bank’s respective travel portals. Or, purchase the flight with an purchase “eraser” card like the Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card that lets you use points to offset all or part of a charge that is coded as “travel” on your statement.
Finally, if you’re flying though Munich during Oktoberfest and you have access to any of the Lufthansa lounges, make a plan to visit. They will serve nearly 9,000 pounds of Leberkase (sausage), 1,700 pounds of Weisswurst sausages and more than 38,000 pretzels. Each type of lounge — First Class, Senator and Business — will offer German specialties ranging from apple strudel to Fleischpflanzerl meatballs and more. Yum!
Featured image courtesy of Lufthansa
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees