Lufthansa Buys 777s… But Not for Itself
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa announced Monday that its board has approved an order for two long-haul Boeing 777-300ER aircraft, among others. The two wide-body jets will go to the airline group’s subsidiary SWISS and are expected to enter service in 2020.
The order is part of an ongoing effort since 2016 by SWISS to update its long-haul fleet with 777-300ERs, according to the airline’s website. Lufthansa says the two new 777s will be used to expand SWISS’ route network. SWISS uses its current 777s “for connections such as San Francisco, Los Angeles, Bangkok and Hong Kong.”
TPG Contributor J. Keith van Straaten flew a SWISS 777-300ER in January from Zurich (ZRH) to Los Angeles (LAX) in economy and found the overall experience to be “a very good flight for a very good price.” Check out this post for a complete tour of the carrier’s 777-300ER.
Lufthansa’s order for SWISS might well be worth the investment for the airline group — in the first quarter of 2018, SWISS had a profit margin of more than 9%. The German aviation conglomerate took over SWISS in 2005.
SWISS’ two 777s are part of a larger order by Lufthansa of 16 new aircraft from both Boeing and competitor Airbus. Among the other planes in the order are 12 Airbus A320ceos and two Boeing 777Fs for Lufthansa’s cargo operations.
The list price for the total 16 aircraft is estimated at 2.1 billion euros (about $2.5 billion USD). All of the aircraft ordered by Lufthansa are expected to be delivered through 2022, according to Reuters.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.