Lufthansa to Begin Flying a Boeing 737 Between the US and Germany
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
From August 2 to September 4, 2018, travelers between the US and Europe have a unique option: flying an 86-seat Boeing 737-700 between Newark (EWR) and Dusseldorf, Germany (DUS).
The equipment change, which Routes Online first posted about, isn’t a typo in the critical middle digit of 7X7. Sure enough, Lufthansa will be operating a specially configured PrivatAir 737-700 between the US and Germany during this 34-day period. This EWR-DUS route is currently served by a 255-seat Lufthansa Airbus A330-300, meaning there will be a significant capacity reduction on this route during this period. The route is scheduled to return to an Airbus A330-300 on September 5.
- LH408 Düsseldorf (DUS) 11:25am Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 1:55pm Arrival (daily except Tuesday)
- LH409 Newark (EWR) 4:30pm Departure ⇒ Düsseldorf (DUS) 6:20am Arrival (+1) (daily except Tuesday)
At 3,762 direct flight miles, this flight will be the longest transatlantic 737 flight and the longest 737 flight operating to/from the US during its one-month run. However, it won’t be the longest 737 flight in the world. That honor will continue to be held by Lufthansa’s 4,158-mile flight from Frankfurt (FRA) to Pune, India (PNQ) — which will continue to operate during August using PrivatAir’s identical Lufthansa-configured Boeing 737-700.
Business class on the 737 is arranged in a 2-2 configuration. While this means no all aisle-access, that’s standard for Lufthansa business-class cabins. PrivatAir’s website lists the pitch at 58 inches. PrivatAir’s website lists the seat as “lie-flat,” while Google Flights lists it as an angle-flat seat. And based on the photos of the seats — and their likeness to other PrivateAir Boeing 737 seats, which TPG has reviewed — they are likely to be angle-flat in reality.
Economy is arranged in 11 rows of 3-3 configuration. Unfortunately, that means it’s going to be a tight 8+ hour flight in the back. Pitch is listed at 31 inches, which isn’t overly generous. That said, TPG flight reviews of Lufthansa economy on both the A380 and A340 have all been positive. And the service should be especially personal, with four flight attendants serving 86 passengers.
If you want to experience flying the best-selling airliner across the Atlantic — without flying Norwegian Air — you’ve got options. The round-trip nonstop flight originating in Newark (EWR) starts at $1,214 in economy and $4,451 in business class, although you can drop these prices by adding connecting flights. European-based travelers get a discount on this price with fares starting at $790 in economy or $2,036 in business class on the nonstop.
Award availability looks tight, but you can currently book awards on the following dates:
- EWR-DUS economy: September 2-4
- EWR-DUS business: August 27
- DUS-EWR economy: August 29-30
- DUS-EWR business: August 6, 8
Featured image by TPG’s Zach Honig on PrivatAir’s all-business-class Boeing 737.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees