Lufthansa to Begin Flying a Boeing 737 Between the US and Germany
From August 2 to September 4, 2018, travelers between the US and Europe have a unique option: flying an 86-seat Boeing 737-700 between Newark (EWR) and Dusseldorf, Germany (DUS).
The equipment change, which Routes Online first posted about, isn’t a typo in the critical middle digit of 7X7. Sure enough, Lufthansa will be operating a specially configured PrivatAir 737-700 between the US and Germany during this 34-day period. This EWR-DUS route is currently served by a 255-seat Lufthansa Airbus A330-300, meaning there will be a significant capacity reduction on this route during this period. The route is scheduled to return to an Airbus A330-300 on September 5.
- LH408 Düsseldorf (DUS) 11:25am Departure ⇒ Newark (EWR) 1:55pm Arrival (daily except Tuesday)
- LH409 Newark (EWR) 4:30pm Departure ⇒ Düsseldorf (DUS) 6:20am Arrival (+1) (daily except Tuesday)
At 3,762 direct flight miles, this flight will be the longest transatlantic 737 flight and the longest 737 flight operating to/from the US during its one-month run. However, it won’t be the longest 737 flight in the world. That honor will continue to be held by Lufthansa’s 4,158-mile flight from Frankfurt (FRA) to Pune, India (PNQ) — which will continue to operate during August using PrivatAir’s identical Lufthansa-configured Boeing 737-700.
Business class on the 737 is arranged in a 2-2 configuration. While this means no all aisle-access, that’s standard for Lufthansa business-class cabins. PrivatAir’s website lists the pitch at 58 inches. PrivatAir’s website lists the seat as “lie-flat,” while Google Flights lists it as an angle-flat seat. And based on the photos of the seats — and their likeness to other PrivateAir Boeing 737 seats, which TPG has reviewed — they are likely to be angle-flat in reality.
Economy is arranged in 11 rows of 3-3 configuration. Unfortunately, that means it’s going to be a tight 8+ hour flight in the back. Pitch is listed at 31 inches, which isn’t overly generous. That said, TPG flight reviews of Lufthansa economy on both the A380 and A340 have all been positive. And the service should be especially personal, with four flight attendants serving 86 passengers.
If you want to experience flying the best-selling airliner across the Atlantic — without flying Norwegian Air — you’ve got options. The round-trip nonstop flight originating in Newark (EWR) starts at $1,214 in economy and $4,451 in business class, although you can drop these prices by adding connecting flights. European-based travelers get a discount on this price with fares starting at $790 in economy or $2,036 in business class on the nonstop.
Award availability looks tight, but you can currently book awards on the following dates:
- EWR-DUS economy: September 2-4
- EWR-DUS business: August 27
- DUS-EWR economy: August 29-30
- DUS-EWR business: August 6, 8
Featured image by TPG’s Zach Honig on PrivatAir’s all-business-class Boeing 737.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.