Lufthansa Cancellations Climb to More Than 1,100 Amid German Airport Strike
The number of canceled Lufthansa flights swelled to more than 1,100 on Tuesday, growing from an estimated 800 cancellations, as airport workers across Germany have gone on strike to demand pay increases.
The grounded flights will affect about 90,000 passengers. Officials at airports across Germany told CNN Money that 700 flights were canceled at Frankfurt Airport (FRA), a major Lufthansa hub that services about 64 million passengers each year. Meanwhile 400 flights were affected at Munich Airport (MUC), and Cologne (CGN) and Bremen (BRE) both saw dozens of cancellations. Lufthansa operates an estimated 1,600 flights per day.
Verdi, a trade union that represents public sector workers such as hospital staff and bus drivers, called for some airport employees to strike over pay disputes. The union wants to see a 6% pay increase for its airport workers, which include ground and security staff and some fire workers, too. Verdi represents about 2.3 million workers throughout Germany, and some of its members in other industries had already been on strike before the airport staff joined on Tuesday.
Lufthansa warned about delays at security checkpoints and is also offering to rebook passengers free of charge. The carrier said operations would likely be back to normal on Wednesday.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees