This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The number of canceled Lufthansa flights swelled to more than 1,100 on Tuesday, growing from an estimated 800 cancellations, as airport workers across Germany have gone on strike to demand pay increases.
The grounded flights will affect about 90,000 passengers. Officials at airports across Germany told CNN Money that 700 flights were canceled at Frankfurt Airport (FRA), a major Lufthansa hub that services about 64 million passengers each year. Meanwhile 400 flights were affected at Munich Airport (MUC), and Cologne (CGN) and Bremen (BRE) both saw dozens of cancellations. Lufthansa operates an estimated 1,600 flights per day.
Verdi, a trade union that represents public sector workers such as hospital staff and bus drivers, called for some airport employees to strike over pay disputes. The union wants to see a 6% pay increase for its airport workers, which include ground and security staff and some fire workers, too. Verdi represents about 2.3 million workers throughout Germany, and some of its members in other industries had already been on strike before the airport staff joined on Tuesday.
Lufthansa warned about delays at security checkpoints and is also offering to rebook passengers free of charge. The carrier said operations would likely be back to normal on Wednesday.
Featured image by Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 50,000 point sign up bonus, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards