Lufthansa is upcycling a plane and you can own part of it
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Plenty of us have heard of Delta’s monthly surplus sale, but some new competition is on the horizon. While it’s no garage sale mishmash full of hidden gems, Lufthansa’s newest endeavor is taking an old A340-600 and turning it into unique, AvGeek worthy items.
Old window segments are being turned into furniture, from bars to coffee tables:
Meanwhile, Lufthansa’s business class products aren’t going to waste either: a gym bag constructed from old business class blankets costs just €32 ($36), while the much fancier business bag is a whopping €199 ($222).
You can also use your Miles and More to pay for the accessories, though Lufthansa is being a bit … stingy with its redemption rate. While TPG values Miles and More at 1.4 cents each, when redeeming for these upcycled items you’re only getting 0.5 cents per point, which is an awful value.
Still, these are some seriously cool items, and some of them are quite limited. The above mentioned wall-mounted bars will consist of just 54 sets, so if you’re looking to get your hands on them you’d better do it now.
It’s nice to see an airline doing something better for the environment than just scrapping its planes or putting them to rest in a boneyard. Are some of these items a little absurd? Yes, maybe:
But they’re also extremely tempting.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Feature photo of a Lufthansa Airbus A340-600 in Star Alliance colors by JOKER/Hady Khandani/ullstein bild via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.