Lufthansa is upcycling a plane and you can own part of it
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Plenty of us have heard of Delta’s monthly surplus sale, but some new competition is on the horizon. While it’s no garage sale mishmash full of hidden gems, Lufthansa’s newest endeavor is taking an old A340-600 and turning it into unique, AvGeek worthy items.
Old window segments are being turned into furniture, from bars to coffee tables:
Meanwhile, Lufthansa’s business class products aren’t going to waste either: a gym bag constructed from old business class blankets costs just €32 ($36), while the much fancier business bag is a whopping €199 ($222).
You can also use your Miles and More to pay for the accessories, though Lufthansa is being a bit … stingy with its redemption rate. While TPG values Miles and More at 1.4 cents each, when redeeming for these upcycled items you’re only getting 0.5 cents per point, which is an awful value.
Still, these are some seriously cool items, and some of them are quite limited. The above mentioned wall-mounted bars will consist of just 54 sets, so if you’re looking to get your hands on them you’d better do it now.
It’s nice to see an airline doing something better for the environment than just scrapping its planes or putting them to rest in a boneyard. Are some of these items a little absurd? Yes, maybe:
But they’re also extremely tempting.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Feature photo of a Lufthansa Airbus A340-600 in Star Alliance colors by JOKER/Hady Khandani/ullstein bild via Getty Images
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.