Lufthansa is upcycling a plane and you can own part of it
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Plenty of us have heard of Delta’s monthly surplus sale, but some new competition is on the horizon. While it’s no garage sale mishmash full of hidden gems, Lufthansa’s newest endeavor is taking an old A340-600 and turning it into unique, AvGeek worthy items.
Old window segments are being turned into furniture, from bars to coffee tables:
Meanwhile, Lufthansa’s business class products aren’t going to waste either: a gym bag constructed from old business class blankets costs just €32 ($36), while the much fancier business bag is a whopping €199 ($222).
You can also use your Miles and More to pay for the accessories, though Lufthansa is being a bit … stingy with its redemption rate. While TPG values Miles and More at 1.4 cents each, when redeeming for these upcycled items you’re only getting 0.5 cents per point, which is an awful value.
Still, these are some seriously cool items, and some of them are quite limited. The above mentioned wall-mounted bars will consist of just 54 sets, so if you’re looking to get your hands on them you’d better do it now.
It’s nice to see an airline doing something better for the environment than just scrapping its planes or putting them to rest in a boneyard. Are some of these items a little absurd? Yes, maybe:
But they’re also extremely tempting.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Feature photo of a Lufthansa Airbus A340-600 in Star Alliance colors by JOKER/Hady Khandani/ullstein bild via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees