Lufthansa brings biometric boarding to New York JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa will start allowing passengers at New York JFK’s Terminal 1 to use biometric boarding instead of traditional paper boarding passes, the carrier announced Thursday.
The airline said biometric boarding works by allowing passengers to use facial scanners, which securely compare travelers’ features against a US Customs and Border Protection database. The process is usually faster than traditional paper boarding pass scans, according to the airline.
New York JFK will become Lufthansa’s fourth US gateway to get the technology. Lufthansa has been testing it in Los Angeles and Orlando, and expanded the option to Miami earlier this year. The decision to expand the program is based on customer feedback, as travelers look for greater efficiency in the boarding process.
“Lufthansa is committed to provide a top-of-the-line flight experience for its customers during all phases of their travels, including boarding,” Frank Naeve, the airline’s vice president of sales in the Americas, said in a press release. “Introducing the biometric boarding system at JFK, one of the world’s largest hubs and an important market for us, continues to demonstrate Lufthansa’s commitment to innovation and technology in order to make our passenger’s trip as smooth and enjoyable as possible.”
According to the airline, passengers who are uncomfortable with biometric scans will still have the option to use traditional boarding passes. The biometric option also isn’t available for passengers who pre-board (usually families with small children or those who need extra time or assistance getting on the aircraft).
Featured photo courtesy of Lufthansa.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.