Lufthansa brings biometric boarding to New York JFK
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Lufthansa will start allowing passengers at New York JFK’s Terminal 1 to use biometric boarding instead of traditional paper boarding passes, the carrier announced Thursday.
The airline said biometric boarding works by allowing passengers to use facial scanners, which securely compare travelers’ features against a US Customs and Border Protection database. The process is usually faster than traditional paper boarding pass scans, according to the airline.
New York JFK will become Lufthansa’s fourth US gateway to get the technology. Lufthansa has been testing it in Los Angeles and Orlando, and expanded the option to Miami earlier this year. The decision to expand the program is based on customer feedback, as travelers look for greater efficiency in the boarding process.
“Lufthansa is committed to provide a top-of-the-line flight experience for its customers during all phases of their travels, including boarding,” Frank Naeve, the airline’s vice president of sales in the Americas, said in a press release. “Introducing the biometric boarding system at JFK, one of the world’s largest hubs and an important market for us, continues to demonstrate Lufthansa’s commitment to innovation and technology in order to make our passenger’s trip as smooth and enjoyable as possible.”
According to the airline, passengers who are uncomfortable with biometric scans will still have the option to use traditional boarding passes. The biometric option also isn’t available for passengers who pre-board (usually families with small children or those who need extra time or assistance getting on the aircraft).
Featured photo courtesy of Lufthansa.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees