Lufthansa Announces New Long-Haul Premium Economy Product
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
German carrier Lufthansa announced plans for a new premium economy product for its new long range aircraft, unveiling the product Monday as part of a broader investor presentation.
Lufthansa revealed the new seats will be available as soon as next year. The first planes with the updated product will be Lufthansa’s Boeing 777-9 aircraft in third quarter of 2020, followed by Swiss Airlines’ Boeing 777-300s and Airbus A340-300s in 2021 during the first and second quarters, respectively.
Lufthansa on Monday showed what appears to be a rendering of the new product, which features seat-back screens and dividers for increased privacy over the economy seat shown behind the new W-class seat.
The reveal coincides with the decision to pull Lufthansa subsidiary Eurowings from the long-haul, low-cost segment. That development also was detailed Monday. Eurowings will instead return to a short-haul, point-to-point model, positioning it against other budget airlines such as Ryanair and EasyJet. The integration of Brussels Airlines into Eurowings will also be stopped, with a turnaround plan for the Belgian carrier coming later this year, the company said.
Featured photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.