Lufthansa Announces New Long-Haul Premium Economy Product
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
German carrier Lufthansa announced plans for a new premium economy product for its new long range aircraft, unveiling the product Monday as part of a broader investor presentation.
Lufthansa revealed the new seats will be available as soon as next year. The first planes with the updated product will be Lufthansa’s Boeing 777-9 aircraft in third quarter of 2020, followed by Swiss Airlines’ Boeing 777-300s and Airbus A340-300s in 2021 during the first and second quarters, respectively.
Lufthansa on Monday showed what appears to be a rendering of the new product, which features seat-back screens and dividers for increased privacy over the economy seat shown behind the new W-class seat.
The reveal coincides with the decision to pull Lufthansa subsidiary Eurowings from the long-haul, low-cost segment. That development also was detailed Monday. Eurowings will instead return to a short-haul, point-to-point model, positioning it against other budget airlines such as Ryanair and EasyJet. The integration of Brussels Airlines into Eurowings will also be stopped, with a turnaround plan for the Belgian carrier coming later this year, the company said.
Featured photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees