Many low cost carrier airfare deals are ending today
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airfare deals are typically only available on limited dates. We recommend you use Google Flights to find dates to fly, then book through an online travel agency such as Orbitz or Expedia, which allows you to cancel flights without penalty by 11pm Eastern Time within one day of booking. However, if you’re using The Platinum Card® from American Express, you’ll need to book directly with the airline or through the Amex Travel portal to get 5x MR points. Remember: Fares may disappear quickly, so book right away and take advantage of Orbitz or Expedia’s courtesy cancellation if you’re unable to get the time away from work or family.
If you’ve been meaning to plan that trip, the next few hours might be the best time to do so. Three different low-cost carriers all announced fare sales earlier this week, and they’re coming all to an end on Thursday. These include discounted fares on Frontier, JetBlue and Southwest.
Frontier Airlines $15 fares
Frontier Airlines does have fare sales quite often, but this is by far one of the better ones. At just $15 one-way, you can fly on many routes through Dec. 18, 2019.
Unfortunately, many of the $15 fares are not “Discount Den” routes, which means you won’t be able to combine them with the Kids Fly Free or Friends Fly Free promotion. But at this low of a price, purchasing a ticket for your companion won’t break the bank.
Keep in mind that Frontier Airlines is a low-cost carrier, which means you’ll have to pay extra for carry-on bags and seat assignments. So definitely take those additional fees into consideration when comparing this deal against other airlines. But with fares this low, chances are Frontier will beat any competitor pricing for these particular routes.
Southwest Airlines winter sale
Although not as often as Frontier, it’s not uncommon to see a Southwest fare sale pop up on a weekly basis. While this isn’t one of the best sales we’ve seen, usually with Southwest it’s best to buy during a fare sale, because when booking Southwest flights, you can cancel and change your flights with no fee.
You can also use Southwest fare sales as a good opportunity to look at Southwest flights you’ve already booked to see if any of them have gone down in price. With Southwest, you can always re-price a flight, regardless if you paid for the flight with cash or points, up until the day the flight departs.
This fare sale is for winter flights with travel between Nov. 19, 2019 and March 6, 2020. Unfortunately, if you’re still looking to fly during peak holiday dates in December, you probably won’t see much savings with this sale. But, if you have some flexibility in your schedule, you might find a good deal. For example, you can fly intra-island within Hawaii for as low as 2,830 Southwest Rapid Rewards points for most of February.
Finally, if you’re working on earning the Southwest Companion Pass for 2020, you can go ahead and purchase the primary person’s flight now, then add the companion’s flight once you’ve received the pass.
JetBlue Airways winter sale
Similar to Southwest, you won’t see earth-shattering deals here, but it’s still a good opportunity to see if a flight you’ve been eyeing has gone down in price. Also, if you’ve booked a JetBlue flight within the past five days and the price has gone down, you can call JetBlue to have them re-price the flight for you.
If you’re a Mosaic member, JetBlue will always honor the lowest price up until the day the flight departs. Although it’s not as simple as rebooking online, a quick call to the JetBlue Mosaic line will get you the lowest fare.
With this sale, you can travel between Nov. 14, 2019 and Feb. 27, 2020. Although Friday and Sunday travel is excluded and there are many blackout dates around the holidays, I still see some great opportunities. For example, you can fly home from Cancun (CUN) to Florida on Christmas Day for just 4,200 JetBlue points plus $46.51 in taxes and fees.
Or, fly to Boston (BOS) from Ft. Myers (RSW) — a typically expensive route — for just 3,400 JetBlue points plus $5.60 in taxes and fees.
Maximize your purchase
Don’t forget to use a card that earns additional points on airfare purchases, such as The Platinum Card® from American Express (5x on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel), Chase Sapphire Reserve, American Express® Gold Card, Citi Premier® Card, Citi Prestige® Card (5x on airfare) or the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card (2x on all travel purchases). Check out this guide for more on maximizing airfare purchases.
The information for the Citi Prestige card has been collected independently by The Points Guy. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.
Featured image courtesy of Kathryn Scott Osler/The Denver Post via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 75,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,500
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber savings annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties. Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees