This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel trendsetters, listen up. In what Lonely Planet has called Sri Lanka’s “moment in the equatorial sun,” the island nation off the southern tip of India has been officially named the No. 1 country to visit in 2019.
Now on its fourteenth year of publishing, Lonely Planet’s “Best in Travel” guide says Sri Lanka nabbed the top spot because it is “notable to intrepid travellers for its mix of religions and cultures, its timeless temples, its rich and accessible wildlife, its growing surf scene and its people who defy all odds by their welcome and friendliness after decades of civil conflict.”
This is a hallmark moment for Sri Lanka’s recovery from its decades-long civil war and 2004 tsunami. However, the country, which is still in the process of rebuilding, seems to have hit the traveler’s sweet-spot according to Lonely Planet. “There’s now more than ever for families, adrenaline junkies, eco-tourists, wellness seekers and foodies of all budgets,” says LP in a press release. “Even the north and east, including areas previously off limits, difficult to reach or lacking in services, deliver new discoveries.”
One of the highlights LP covers in its Sri Lanka section is its one-of-a-kind cuisine, which fuses flavors from neighboring countries while providing unique, flavorful twists. The guide also mentions the many immersive, beautiful train rides the country has to offer. The route from Kandy to Ella is TPG bucket-list approved — and first class tickets go for the low price of only $6.
Among the remaining top five countries to visit in 2019 are Germany, Zimbabwe, Panama and Kyrgzstan. Meanwhile, the title of No. 1 city to visit in 2019 went to the “Scandi cool” Copenhagen, Denmark.
Featured image by by EyesWideOpen/Getty Images.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees