This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Travel trendsetters, listen up. In what Lonely Planet has called Sri Lanka’s “moment in the equatorial sun,” the island nation off the southern tip of India has been officially named the No. 1 country to visit in 2019.
Now on its fourteenth year of publishing, Lonely Planet’s “Best in Travel” guide says Sri Lanka nabbed the top spot because it is “notable to intrepid travellers for its mix of religions and cultures, its timeless temples, its rich and accessible wildlife, its growing surf scene and its people who defy all odds by their welcome and friendliness after decades of civil conflict.”
This is a hallmark moment for Sri Lanka’s recovery from its decades-long civil war and 2004 tsunami. However, the country, which is still in the process of rebuilding, seems to have hit the traveler’s sweet-spot according to Lonely Planet. “There’s now more than ever for families, adrenaline junkies, eco-tourists, wellness seekers and foodies of all budgets,” says LP in a press release. “Even the north and east, including areas previously off limits, difficult to reach or lacking in services, deliver new discoveries.”
One of the highlights LP covers in its Sri Lanka section is its one-of-a-kind cuisine, which fuses flavors from neighboring countries while providing unique, flavorful twists. The guide also mentions the many immersive, beautiful train rides the country has to offer. The route from Kandy to Ella is TPG bucket-list approved — and first class tickets go for the low price of only $6.
Among the remaining top five countries to visit in 2019 are Germany, Zimbabwe, Panama and Kyrgzstan. Meanwhile, the title of No. 1 city to visit in 2019 went to the “Scandi cool” Copenhagen, Denmark.
Featured image by by EyesWideOpen/Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 points! With great travel benefits, 2x points on travel & dining and a 60,000 point sign up bonus worth up to $1,200 in value, the Chase Sapphire Preferred is a great card for those looking to get into the points and miles game. Here are the top 5 reasons it should be in your wallet, or read our definitive review for more details.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards