London’s Skyline May Soon Include a Giant Flower
London may soon have an upgraded skyline, embellished with a giant flower. Architecture company Foster + Partners have designed a new observation tower called The Tulip, that would be one of London’s tallest buildings if completed. The Tulip would rise to a height of 1,001 feet, just missing the title of London’s tallest building (currently held by the Shard) by just three feet. Foster + Partners have submitted the plans to the city and are currently waiting on approval for the building to be constructed. If given the green light, construction is expected to start in 2020 and would take five years to complete.
The peculiar petaled tower sounds like the perfect tourist playground, with plans to feature a restaurant and bar with 360-degree views of the city, internal glass slides and London Eye-like gondola pod rides that would run along the building’s exterior. The building would also be used for cultural and educational purposes, with an education facility offering 20,000 free spots per year for London’s state school children.
Foster + Partners, also the architect company behind London’s Gherkin building, plan to create a publicly accessible, lower-level rooftop garden that would connect to the neighboring Gherkin building’s existing park. The addition would increase the site’s green surface area by 8.5 times, which supports the Mayor’s goal for London to be the world’s first National Park City. Other eco-friendly plans for the building were stated in a press release. “The Tulip’s soft bud-like form and minimal building footprint reflect its reduced resource use, with high-performance glass and optimized building systems reducing its energy consumption. Heating and cooling are provided by zero combustion technology while integrated photovoltaic cells generate energy on site.”
Photos courtesy of Foster + Partners.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.