London’s Skyline May Soon Include a Giant Flower
London may soon have an upgraded skyline, embellished with a giant flower. Architecture company Foster + Partners have designed a new observation tower called The Tulip, that would be one of London’s tallest buildings if completed. The Tulip would rise to a height of 1,001 feet, just missing the title of London’s tallest building (currently held by the Shard) by just three feet. Foster + Partners have submitted the plans to the city and are currently waiting on approval for the building to be constructed. If given the green light, construction is expected to start in 2020 and would take five years to complete.
The peculiar petaled tower sounds like the perfect tourist playground, with plans to feature a restaurant and bar with 360-degree views of the city, internal glass slides and London Eye-like gondola pod rides that would run along the building’s exterior. The building would also be used for cultural and educational purposes, with an education facility offering 20,000 free spots per year for London’s state school children.
Foster + Partners, also the architect company behind London’s Gherkin building, plan to create a publicly accessible, lower-level rooftop garden that would connect to the neighboring Gherkin building’s existing park. The addition would increase the site’s green surface area by 8.5 times, which supports the Mayor’s goal for London to be the world’s first National Park City. Other eco-friendly plans for the building were stated in a press release. “The Tulip’s soft bud-like form and minimal building footprint reflect its reduced resource use, with high-performance glass and optimized building systems reducing its energy consumption. Heating and cooling are provided by zero combustion technology while integrated photovoltaic cells generate energy on site.”
Photos courtesy of Foster + Partners.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees