London Introduces Plans for New Rooftop Infinity Pool With 360-Degree City Views
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sure, London already has plenty of great views. But just-announced plans for a rooftop infinity pool 55 stories above the English capital promise to top them all.
According to UK-based manufacturer Compass Pools, the 600,000-liter showstopper would boast 360-degree views of the London city skyline and be the first of its kind. Called Infinity London, designers claim the project is, “The only building in the world to incorporate a a 360-degree infinity pool.”
“When we designed the pool, we wanted an uninterrupted view, both above and below the water,” Compass Pools designer and technical director, Alex Kemsley, said in a statement on the Compass Pools website.
“Architects often come to us to design [rooftop] infinity pools, but rarely do we get a say in the building design because the pool is usually an afterthought,” Kemsley explained. “But on this project, we actually started with the pool design and essentially said, ‘How do we put a building underneath this?'”
Guests of a five-star international hotel said to occupy the top floors of the new building will enter and exit the pool by way of a James Bond-inspired rotating spiral staircase that rises from the pool floor. The concept, Compass Pools explained, is “based on the door of a submarine” and keeps exterior ladders or stairs from interrupting the view — or the seamless design. (Try wrapping your head around that.)
The cast-acrylic pool will be more transparent than glass, allowing visitors to gaze up and see people swimming around the roof. And, come nightfall, color-changing lights will give the pool “the appearance of a sparkling jewel . . .” according to Compass Pools.
Other standout features would include a sustainable pool-heating concept that recycles energy from the building’s air conditioning system to warm the water; and a built-in wind speed monitor will (by some sorcery) ensure that water doesn’t get blown out of the rooftop pool and down onto passerby below.
The exact location of Infinity London has not been announced, but Compass Pools says construction of the outrageous building could begin next year — “if all the partners and contractors are confirmed.”
So, would you swim laps in this so-called “death-defying” infinity pool? Sound off in the comments below.
Featured image courtesy of Compass Pools.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.