London Introduces Plans for New Rooftop Infinity Pool With 360-Degree City Views
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Sure, London already has plenty of great views. But just-announced plans for a rooftop infinity pool 55 stories above the English capital promise to top them all.
According to UK-based manufacturer Compass Pools, the 600,000-liter showstopper would boast 360-degree views of the London city skyline and be the first of its kind. Called Infinity London, designers claim the project is, “The only building in the world to incorporate a a 360-degree infinity pool.”
“When we designed the pool, we wanted an uninterrupted view, both above and below the water,” Compass Pools designer and technical director, Alex Kemsley, said in a statement on the Compass Pools website.
“Architects often come to us to design [rooftop] infinity pools, but rarely do we get a say in the building design because the pool is usually an afterthought,” Kemsley explained. “But on this project, we actually started with the pool design and essentially said, ‘How do we put a building underneath this?'”
Guests of a five-star international hotel said to occupy the top floors of the new building will enter and exit the pool by way of a James Bond-inspired rotating spiral staircase that rises from the pool floor. The concept, Compass Pools explained, is “based on the door of a submarine” and keeps exterior ladders or stairs from interrupting the view — or the seamless design. (Try wrapping your head around that.)
The cast-acrylic pool will be more transparent than glass, allowing visitors to gaze up and see people swimming around the roof. And, come nightfall, color-changing lights will give the pool “the appearance of a sparkling jewel . . .” according to Compass Pools.
Other standout features would include a sustainable pool-heating concept that recycles energy from the building’s air conditioning system to warm the water; and a built-in wind speed monitor will (by some sorcery) ensure that water doesn’t get blown out of the rooftop pool and down onto passerby below.
The exact location of Infinity London has not been announced, but Compass Pools says construction of the outrageous building could begin next year — “if all the partners and contractors are confirmed.”
So, would you swim laps in this so-called “death-defying” infinity pool? Sound off in the comments below.
Featured image courtesy of Compass Pools.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees