London Heathrow Offers Flights to Galaxy Far, Far Away
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Flight R2D2 to Tatooine is now boarding…” a voice says over the PA. No this isn’t a joke. You’re at London Heathrow (LHR), and you’ve just come across the departures board. It’s full of destinations that are unfamiliar at first, but after a second glance you realize you’ve heard of those places before.
In the spirt of “May the Fourth” an unofficial holiday that celebrates all things Star Wars, London Heathrow airport filled some of its departure boards with Star Wars planets, characters and references.
The destinations are all planets (and the Death Star) from the movies and flight numbers reference characters from the films. Flight R2D2 is headed to Tatooine (a planet closely associated with the robot) and flight BB8 is going to Jaku — where it first appeared in “Star Wars Episode VII.” And for some unknown reason the flight to Alderaan flight was cancelled…
The board makes other fun references to the films writing that flights to Hoth are delayed due to snow on the runway. ANA’s Star Wars themed 777s were nowhere to be found, likely because they couldn’t make the jump to lightspeed.
Heathrow’s Twitter got in on the fun, too.
In February, Atlanta (ATL) changed some if its signs to display nonstop flights to Wakanda — celebrating the movie “Black Panther.”
Featured image courtesy of London Heathrow Airport / Twitter.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.