London Bridge Ticket Machine Almost Charges Passenger £10,000 to Get to Gatwick Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On a normal day, a single-fare ticket from London Bridge to Gatwick Airport is priced at about £11 (about $14 USD). However, on Wednesday traveler Lucy Watson was nearly charged what might be one of the most comically expensive mistake fares of all time: a difference of about £9,989.
Watson spotted the £10,000 rail ticket on a kiosk screen when she was on her way to Sussex from the London terminal. She later tweeted about the incident, joking that it might be better to opt for the cheaper Thameslink (which also goes to Gatwick Airport) instead:
Watson told MyLondon that since she was in a rush, she didn’t have the time to speak to any rail staff members about the mistake. However, unsurprisingly, the tweet garnered some attention from fellow London commuters.
This new fare, although a mistake, occurred after the UK had raised their rail fares by about 3.1%, which cost commuters nearly £3,000 a year more for travel than in 2010.
It just so happens that on the same day as Watson’s tweet, London Rail released a special discount for 26 to 30-year-olds (it’s called the 26-30 ticket), which slices about one third off most rail fares.
“Ironically, I’m still in the online queue for the 26-30 Railcard,” Watson told MyLondon.
Featured image by Joas Souza Photographer via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.