London Bridge Ticket Machine Almost Charges Passenger £10,000 to Get to Gatwick Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On a normal day, a single-fare ticket from London Bridge to Gatwick Airport is priced at about £11 (about $14 USD). However, on Wednesday traveler Lucy Watson was nearly charged what might be one of the most comically expensive mistake fares of all time: a difference of about £9,989.
Watson spotted the £10,000 rail ticket on a kiosk screen when she was on her way to Sussex from the London terminal. She later tweeted about the incident, joking that it might be better to opt for the cheaper Thameslink (which also goes to Gatwick Airport) instead:
Watson told MyLondon that since she was in a rush, she didn’t have the time to speak to any rail staff members about the mistake. However, unsurprisingly, the tweet garnered some attention from fellow London commuters.
This new fare, although a mistake, occurred after the UK had raised their rail fares by about 3.1%, which cost commuters nearly £3,000 a year more for travel than in 2010.
It just so happens that on the same day as Watson’s tweet, London Rail released a special discount for 26 to 30-year-olds (it’s called the 26-30 ticket), which slices about one third off most rail fares.
“Ironically, I’m still in the online queue for the 26-30 Railcard,” Watson told MyLondon.
Featured image by Joas Souza Photographer via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees