Loaded Gun Seizure at Norfolk International Sets Record for Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Norfolk International Airport (ORF) Transportation Security Administration officers detected a loaded handgun at an airport checkpoint this Sunday. This is the 17th firearm found in 2018 at this airport so far, a significant increase from the 10 discovered at the airport last year and an all-time record.
The firearm, a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun, was brought in by Chesapeake male who was then allowed to pass it off to a non-traveling companion. The weapon was loaded with five bullets. Penalties for passengers who bring weapons to airport security checkpoints range from around $3,900 to $13,066.
In 2017, TSA hit a record high of firearm confiscations with 3,957 guns discovered in passenger’s carry-on bags. That’s nearly 11 firearms a day. 2017’s numbers were already a reported 17% increase from 2016, proving a (quite unfortunate) upwards trend.
According to the New York Times, in 2015, TSA officers reported that a majority of those who attempt to bring their firearms through the security checkpoint claim it was an honest mistake. A former Disney star was caught at an airport security checkpoint with a 9 mm pistol just last week, claiming that very excuse.
All of this considered, 2018 isn’t shaping up to be a much better year for weapon-free travel. The TSA blog frequently updates airport checkpoint finds, with items ranging from peculiar to chilling. In the week of Aug. 20, 82 firearms were found by TSA. The agency even found a few novelty knives and Batman-shaped ninja throwing stars. So travelers — use your common sense, leave your weapons at home.
Feature photo by Stephen Chernin via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees