Watch out for These Dangerous Desserts During Your Travels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, the US Food and Drug Administration released a warning about the dangers of eating or drinking foods prepared with liquid nitrogen immediately before consumption. In a world where people often seek out bizarre, specialty foods on their travels, it’s an alert that is especially important for adventurous epicures.
According to the FDA, novelty snacks and drinks such as so-called “nitro puffs” or “Dragon’s Breath” — a trendy dessert item found from state fairs in Florida to ice cream shops in Brooklyn — can cause life-threatening conditions. Like Dragon’s Breath, cocktails that smolder and ice cream prepared to order get their appeal from their theatrics.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Subzero Icecream & Yogurt (@subzeroicecream_pdx) on
Liquid nitrogen isn’t toxic, but it is freezing cold — as low as 320 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. As a result, consuming products made with liquid nitrogen “can cause severe damage to skin and internal organs … [and] inhaling the vapor … may also cause breathing difficulty, especially among individuals with asthma,” according to the FDA.
Last summer, a man in Delhi downed a smoking cocktail made with liquid nitrogen, and burned a hole through his stomach. A few months later, a 14-year-old girl was badly burned by a cup of Dragon’s Breath in Florida. These innovative treats are entertaining (and, let’s be honest, perfect for Instagram). But there are serious risks when consuming them before the liquid nitrogen has fully evaporated.
View this post on Instagram
Milk’ee is stealing all the attention ✨ #720sweets #720sweetsab . . . . . #yegfood #yeg #edmonton #foodstagram #smokingicecream #edmontonliving #edmontonfood #exploreedmonton #canada #gastropost #yegeats #icecream #yegdesserts #yegsweets #foodporn #edmontoneats #yeglife #yegbiz #yeglocal #dessert #yegbusiness #food #milktea #summer #narcitycanada #eat #yummy
A post shared by 720 Sweets WEM (@720sweetsab) on
Products prepared with liquid nitrogen aren’t inherently dangerous. After all, it’s commonly used to flash freeze a number of items you’d pick up in the frozen foods section of your local supermarket. But eating (or drinking them) right after they’ve been doused with liquid nitrogen is risky at best.
If you’re interested in sampling anything prepared on the spot with liquid nitrogen, be sure to wait until it has evaporated completely before consuming. Never touch the liquid nitrogen directly (if you’re trying the infamous nitro puffs, for example, use a fork or toothpick) and in general, use caution. Even after the liquid nitrogen has evaporated, foods served immediately after its use can still be unsafe, the FDA explained, “due to the extremely low temperature.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees