Watch out for These Dangerous Desserts During Your Travels
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Last week, the US Food and Drug Administration released a warning about the dangers of eating or drinking foods prepared with liquid nitrogen immediately before consumption. In a world where people often seek out bizarre, specialty foods on their travels, it’s an alert that is especially important for adventurous epicures.
According to the FDA, novelty snacks and drinks such as so-called “nitro puffs” or “Dragon’s Breath” — a trendy dessert item found from state fairs in Florida to ice cream shops in Brooklyn — can cause life-threatening conditions. Like Dragon’s Breath, cocktails that smolder and ice cream prepared to order get their appeal from their theatrics.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Subzero Icecream & Yogurt (@subzeroicecream_pdx) on
Liquid nitrogen isn’t toxic, but it is freezing cold — as low as 320 degrees Fahrenheit below zero. As a result, consuming products made with liquid nitrogen “can cause severe damage to skin and internal organs … [and] inhaling the vapor … may also cause breathing difficulty, especially among individuals with asthma,” according to the FDA.
Last summer, a man in Delhi downed a smoking cocktail made with liquid nitrogen, and burned a hole through his stomach. A few months later, a 14-year-old girl was badly burned by a cup of Dragon’s Breath in Florida. These innovative treats are entertaining (and, let’s be honest, perfect for Instagram). But there are serious risks when consuming them before the liquid nitrogen has fully evaporated.
View this post on Instagram
Milk’ee is stealing all the attention ✨ #720sweets #720sweetsab . . . . . #yegfood #yeg #edmonton #foodstagram #smokingicecream #edmontonliving #edmontonfood #exploreedmonton #canada #gastropost #yegeats #icecream #yegdesserts #yegsweets #foodporn #edmontoneats #yeglife #yegbiz #yeglocal #dessert #yegbusiness #food #milktea #summer #narcitycanada #eat #yummy
A post shared by 720 Sweets WEM (@720sweetsab) on
Products prepared with liquid nitrogen aren’t inherently dangerous. After all, it’s commonly used to flash freeze a number of items you’d pick up in the frozen foods section of your local supermarket. But eating (or drinking them) right after they’ve been doused with liquid nitrogen is risky at best.
If you’re interested in sampling anything prepared on the spot with liquid nitrogen, be sure to wait until it has evaporated completely before consuming. Never touch the liquid nitrogen directly (if you’re trying the infamous nitro puffs, for example, use a fork or toothpick) and in general, use caution. Even after the liquid nitrogen has evaporated, foods served immediately after its use can still be unsafe, the FDA explained, “due to the extremely low temperature.”
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.