Lion Air 737-800 Skidded off Runway in Indonesia and Shut Down the Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Lion Air aircraft skidded off a runway at Indonesia’s Gorontalo’s Djalaludin Airport (GTO) on Sunday, causing the airport to shutdown in order for emergency crews to remove the damaged plane.
Flight JT892 from Makassar, Indonesia (UPG) to Gorontalo (GTO) skidded off the runway after touching down at about 6:35pm local time. Even though it was raining, the visibility conditions for landing met the required standards, Power Sihaloho, Gorontalo airport management head said, according to Indonesian papers. The aircraft’s front landing gear was broken in the incident.
Lion Air Boeing 737-800 (PK-LOO) badly damaged in runway overran on landing in rain at Gorontalo Airport (GTO, WAMG), Indonesia with 174+7 on board. No injuries reported. The airport was closed. https://t.co/WsZyMJa78f pic.twitter.com/isonLDjt55
— JACDEC (@JacdecNew) April 29, 2018
The broken parts of the aircraft were laying on the runway after the incident, Sihaloho said, according to the Jakarta Post. The parts would be removed on Monday, and until then, flights would be rerouted to airports in Manado (MDC) and North Sulawesi (NAH).
Lion Air apologized to passengers for the incident in a statement released Sunday night.
Fortunately, there were no serious injuries among the Boeing 737-800 aircraft’s 174 passengers and seven crew on board. Two passengers went unconscious in the course of the incident, but they have since regained consciousness and received medical attention, Lion Air Strategic Corporate Communications Head Danang Mandala Prihantoro told the Jarkata Post.
Indonesia’s National Transportation Safety Commission will investigate the incident.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees