Lion Air 737-800 Skidded off Runway in Indonesia and Shut Down the Airport
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A Lion Air aircraft skidded off a runway at Indonesia’s Gorontalo’s Djalaludin Airport (GTO) on Sunday, causing the airport to shutdown in order for emergency crews to remove the damaged plane.
Flight JT892 from Makassar, Indonesia (UPG) to Gorontalo (GTO) skidded off the runway after touching down at about 6:35pm local time. Even though it was raining, the visibility conditions for landing met the required standards, Power Sihaloho, Gorontalo airport management head said, according to Indonesian papers. The aircraft’s front landing gear was broken in the incident.
Lion Air Boeing 737-800 (PK-LOO) badly damaged in runway overran on landing in rain at Gorontalo Airport (GTO, WAMG), Indonesia with 174+7 on board. No injuries reported. The airport was closed. https://t.co/WsZyMJa78f pic.twitter.com/isonLDjt55
— JACDEC (@JacdecNew) April 29, 2018
The broken parts of the aircraft were laying on the runway after the incident, Sihaloho said, according to the Jakarta Post. The parts would be removed on Monday, and until then, flights would be rerouted to airports in Manado (MDC) and North Sulawesi (NAH).
Lion Air apologized to passengers for the incident in a statement released Sunday night.
Fortunately, there were no serious injuries among the Boeing 737-800 aircraft’s 174 passengers and seven crew on board. Two passengers went unconscious in the course of the incident, but they have since regained consciousness and received medical attention, Lion Air Strategic Corporate Communications Head Danang Mandala Prihantoro told the Jarkata Post.
Indonesia’s National Transportation Safety Commission will investigate the incident.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.