This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
“Reader Questions” are answered twice a week by TPG Associate Editor Brendan Dorsey.
Mobile wallets are becoming more prominent and many banks and tech companies have made their own versions of the tools. TPG readers Fred and Andrew want to know about Chase’s version, Chase Pay, and how they can use it…
How does one use / link Chase Pay to Samsung Pay? Can you do a tutorial on how to add Chase Pay to Walmart.com or the Walmart app?TPG Reader Fred and TPG Reader Andrew
In 2016, Chase launched its own mobile wallet called Chase Pay. Unlike Apple Pay or Samsung Pay that use NFC readers (where all you have to do is tap your phone to pay), Chase Pay employs a clunky QR code to pay in person as well as online at select retailers.
Right now, Chase Pay can only be used at just a few dozen large retailers — which isn’t a whole lot, especially when compared to its competitors. However, Chase frequently runs promotions where you can earn bonus points or statement credits for using the app or even adding cards to the program. Right now, the Chase Freedom earns 5% back up to $1,500 (or 5x points if you have a linked Ultimate Rewards earning card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card) on all purchases made through Chase Pay for Q4 2018. You can also redeem Ultimate Rewards points for purchases (although not at a great value) and order ahead at restaurants in the app.
So how do you add cards to your Chase Pay account? It’s actually quite easy once you download the app, which is available for both iOS and Android devices. Start by logging in using your existing Chase username and password. Once you’ve logged in, your Chase account information and credit cards will automatically be loaded into the app.
To specifically answer Fred’s question, Samsung Pay and Chase Pay teamed up over the summer to allow eligible Samsung smartphone owners to to link their Chase Pay information with Samsung — therefore allowing Chase Pay to be used wherever Samsung Pay is accepted (currently available at millions of retailers). There’s even reportedly a targeted offer where you can earn $25 after linking your Chase and Samsung wallets.
To link your accounts you’ll want to follow this three-step process:
- Download Chase Pay on your Samsung phone and sign-in with your Chase username and password.
- Make sure you have the cards you want already loaded into Samsung Pay.
- Link Chase Pay and Samsung Pay in the Chase Pay app by clicking “complete setup” under the Samsung Pay Description and then hit “Add card” in the Chase Pay app.
- To pay with Chase Pay through Samsung Pay, tap “Pay” in Chase Pay, then tap “Pay with Samsung Pay” and make sure to use an NFC reader (not the Chase Pay QR code).
By paying this way, you should be able to stack any awards that you earn through Chase Pay’s promotions in addition to earning Samsung Rewards.
We’ve also had questions about how to add Chase Pay to checkout through Walmart.com — upon checkout and under “enter payment method” click “+More.” You’ll see an option for Chase Pay; click that and enter your Chase log-in info. Then select the card you want to use to pay (most likely the Chase Freedom, given the Q4 bonus) and you should be good to go.
Even though it might not feel like a normal way to pay, always make sure to keep an eye out for mobile wallet promotions, as they can easily get you massive value for incredibly little effort. For instance, the US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa Infinite Card earns you 3x points (4.5% back towards travel) on all mobile wallet purchases.
Featured image by The Points Guy staff.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees