Lincoln Center Plaza will transform into a green space
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
During the pandemic, having access to outdoor space has been considered a luxury — especially if you live in New York City.
One New York landmark, the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, is getting in on the outdoor action and will debut an open green space on May 10. The Lincoln Center’s theaters have been closed due to the coronavirus pandemic but will move outdoors for some performances.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter!
A set designer has been hired to “reimagine” Josie Robertson Plaza and will transform 14,000 square feet of concrete into a park-like space, complete with a synthetic lawn. People visiting the space will have access to books, which can be borrowed, a snack bar and outdoor performances.
“The arts can be the centerpiece of New York’s economic, social and spiritual revival — a powerful vehicle to reconnect as we enter the spring season,” said Henry Timms, the president and CEO of the Lincoln Center.
The pandemic has forced urban planners to rethink and reimagine space, especially as many Americans remained largely at home in 2020. And it appears that spaces that went largely unused will be repurposed in a post-pandemic world to cater to people who want space to run, play, relax and physically distance themselves from others outdoors.
Experts have noted that parks and outdoor spaces are essential during the pandemic for reducing quarantine-related stress and could even lower the risk of contracting COVID-19 through outdoor activity.
Featured image of the “Green,” designed by Mimi Lien. (Rendering by Timothy Leung)
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.