Limited Time: Fly One-Way to London For Just 6,500 Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
On many US-based mileage programs, you’re going to be charged 30,000 miles each way for flights between US and Europe. Even with low-cost carrier competition driving down cash prices, airlines have stubbornly kept their award rates unchanged.
But, now there’s a short reprieve. Now through June 17, you can book British Airways economy awards to/from London for 50% fewer Avios. On some routes and dates, this drops the price to just 6,500 Avios each way between the US and London. And, if you don’t currently have Avios, you can easily obtain them by transferring points (1:1) from Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards and SPG Starpoints.
Here are the basics of the deal:
- Airline: British Airways-operated flights
- Routes: London Heathrow (LHR) or London Gatwick (LGW) “to over 90 destinations”
- Cabin: Only for “World Traveller” economy
- Book by: June 17, 2018
- Travel dates: September 1, 2018 to May 31, 2019
- Transfer points: American Express Membership Rewards (1:1), Chase Ultimate Rewards (1:1), Starwood Preferred Guest (1:1 with bonus for transferring 20,000 points)
- No registration or promotion code. The discount is automatically applied.
What’s the catch? British Airways’ infamous
fuel surcharges, which start at $178 each way:
Here’s some options to consider at 6,500 Avios each way:
- Boston (BOS)-London: 6,500 Avios + $178
- Chicago (ORD)-London: 6,500 Avios + $178
- New York Kennedy (JFK)-London: 6,500 Avios + $178
- Newark (EWR)-London: 6,500 Avios + $178
- Philadelphia (PHL)-London: 6,500 Avios + $178
- Washington Dulles (IAD)-London: 6,500 Avios + $178
And for 8,125 Avios each way:
- Atlanta (ATL)-London: 8,125 Avios + $178
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)-London: 8,125 Avios + $174
- Los Angeles (LAX)-London: 8,125 Avios + $178
- Nashville (BNA)-London: 8,125 Avios + $178
- San Francisco (SFO)-London: 8,125 Avios + $178
You don’t have to stop in London, but British Airways prices award flights by segment. So, you’ll have to pay for another award flight to continue onward into mainland Europe. For example, you can fly from the US to Berlin Tegel (TXL) for 10,500 Avios:
Who Is This Deal Good For?
This deal can be great for those looking for a cheap one-way to/from Europe in combination with another award. Perhaps you’re able to book a lie-flat business class award for the red-eye to Europe but don’t mind flying economy back from London.
But, this deal can be especially good for routes where British Airways isn’t able to (or doesn’t) charge as high of fuel surcharges. For example, you can fly between London and Hong Kong for just 9,750 Avios and $41.
Since British Airways Avios are charged per flight leg, you might as well build your own multi-stop trip. For example, you can fly from the US Northeast (Boston, Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Washington DC) to London, stop and visit London for as long as you want, then fly to Seychelles for a total cost of just 14,625 Avios:
Or, if you want to take the long way from Hong Kong (HKG) back to the US, you can book Hong Kong-London-NYC from 16,250 Avios and $234 one-way:
And if you book a route — such as Hong Kong, Los Angeles and Washington DC — that operates using a British Airways A380, make sure to select an upper-deck seat.
So, while high surcharges keep this deal from being too incredible for most travelers, there’s definitely some sweet spots that can be utilized before the deal ends on June 17.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees