London Heathrow installs anti-drone system to detect potential disruptions
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
The product, manufactured by Thales SA, detects and identifies drones when they enter the airspace. The radar system can detect drones as far as 3.1 miles away in all directions. If it detects a drone around the airspace, the airport can then opt to deploy countermeasures.
Representatives for Thales wouldn’t say what Heathrow plans to use as its countermeasures. A spokesperson for the airport also declined comment.
Elsewhere in the world, countermeasures have included disruptive radio waves, dispatching eagles or deploying nets to pull devices out of the skies.
According to Bloomberg, drone-disabling technology was not part of Thales’ contract with Heathrow.
In March 2019, legislation took effect that prohibits drones from flying within any Flight Restriction Zone, which extends to 5 kilometres (3.1 miles) from U.K. airports. Drone operators who operate their devices within an airport’s perimeter face a prison sentence of up to five years.
Heathrow’s new detection system is the same one that’s already in use at Paris’ Charles de Gaulle (CDG) Airport.
The introduction of the drone detection technology follows several reports of drones at airports around London, including at Gatwick and Heathrow. In September, London police arrested two climate protestors who were using drones in an attempt to close LHR operations. In December 2018, Gatwick airport was closed for more than 24 hours around the busy holiday travel season when there were multiple drone sightings near the runway.
Featured photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.