London Gatwick Suspends All Flights Due to Air Traffic Control Systems Issues
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: As of 7:10pm local time (2:10pm ET), operations have resumed at LGW.
All flights to and from London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW) remain suspended on Wednesday evening local time, as the airport is reporting “an air traffic control systems issue” in its control tower.
At 5:47pm London time (12:47pm ET), the airport tweeted that all flights were suspended. The airport said it was working with Air Navigation Solutions (ANS), which provides the airport with air traffic control, to solve the issue.
About 27 minutes after the initial announcement, LGW said that its operations were still suspended.
As of 6:30pm London time, multiple flights with LGW as their destination could be seen circling the airspace around the airport. Others had been diverted. EasyJet Flight 8436, travelling from Basel (BSL) to LGW, circled over the English Channel before passing over LGW airspace, still at nearly cruising altitude and landing at East Midlands Airport (EMA) in Derby, about 160 miles north of Gatwick.
ANS has provided air navigation service provisions at LGW since March 2016. It’s responsible for providing all air traffic control, air traffic engineering services, emergency and alerting services and meteorological services to the airport. ANS also provides services as Edinburgh Airport (EDI), though that airport does not seem to be affected at this time.
The suspension of operations will surely cause significant delays to operations. Gatwick is recommending that passengers scheduled to travel from the airport check with their airlines for flight updates.
This is a developing story…
Featured photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees