London Gatwick Airport Closed Yet Again Following ‘Suspected Drone Sighting’
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update 12/21/2018 2:10pm ET: At 6:31pm London time (1:31pm ET), LGW tweeted that flights had resumed.
According to a Gatwick spokesperson, operations at LGW, Britain’s second largest airport, have been “temporarily suspended,” according to the BBC. The sighting occurred at about 5:10pm London time (12:10pm ET).
“We are just hearing a report of another drone sighting that we are investigating,” the spokesperson said. “As we look into it we have taken the precaution of suspending flights.”
The Ministry of Defence has not confirmed the sighting, but Sussex Police are investigating.
It’s the third time the airport has been closed since Wednesday, when the first drone sighting was reported.
Flights that were supposed to land at LGW’s single runway have been circling the area. The flights will likely be diverted to surrounding airports.
It remains unclear how long LGW operations will be suspended following this latest drone sighting.
Featured image by Jack Taylor / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.