Legoland New York delays grand opening date to 2021
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Once upon a time, before COVID-19, many families living in the NYC area were counting down the weeks until a new option for family fun opened within an easy driving distance. Legoland New York was set to open in Goshen, New York — just 60 miles northwest of New York City in the Hudson Valley, on July 4, 2020. However, the opening has now been pushed back pretty significantly into 2021.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
A portion of the official announcement reads:
In adherence to the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and evolving restrictions from state and local governments in response to the coronavirus pandemic, Legoland® New York Resort and parent company Merlin Entertainments regret to announce the postponement of the Resort opening until 2021. The measure is consistent with the closure of venues and postponement of events worldwide.
Nothing is more important to us than the health, safety and security of our team, the partners we work with and the communities we serve,” said Legoland New York Resort Divisional Director Stephanie Johnson. “We are in an unprecedented situation that has affected businesses worldwide. By opening Legoland New York Resort in 2021 we are building an attraction that not only meets our high standards, it also gives our guests the best possible experience.
The available information goes on to share that those who already hold a Legoland New York annual pass or single-day ticket will be able to use those when the resort opens in 2021. Also scheduled to (hopefully) open in 2021, is a 250-room hotel that will offer four different Lego-themed rooms: Castle, Ninjago, Pirate and Lego Friends. There is no rescheduled firm opening date in 2021 provided at this time.
Theme parks around the world, including Disney World, Universal Studios and other Legoland resorts remain closed with no set reopening timeline. Here’s a look at other major event cancellations and closures related to COVID-19.
Featured image courtesy of Legoland New York
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.