Pilot in Lyft to LAX Dropped in Random Parking Lot After Driver Realizes How Little He’ll Make
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
An airline pilot trying to make his flight at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) took an unexpected detour when his Lyft driver kicked him out of the car and left him stranded in a random parking lot last Thursday.
Like many people headed to the airport, the pilot, Darryl, used the ride-sharing app to summon a Lyft car to his hotel and entered LAX as the destination, he told KTLA.
Darryl’s driver arrived and picked him, but then he suddenly was agitated when he realized the destination was LAX. Apparently, the driver had just come from the airport. “He picked me up, I loaded the bag, and we started to leave, and then I guess he looked at — the destination popped up on his phone at that time, and then he got very frustrated,” Darryl, who did not want to share his last name or airline, said. “He did not want to go back to LAX.”
As the ride continued, the driver was bemoaning how little money he was going to make on the trip. He told Darryl that the nearly hour-long ride would only earn him $6. So, instead of taking the pilot all the way to the airport, he decided to ditch the fare and leave Darryl stranded in a Trader Joe’s grocery store parking lot — nearly seven miles away from LAX.
In a video that the pilot recorded, the driver can be heard saying “Sorry, man, but I can’t make $6 an hour,” as he abandons Darryl in the parking lot.
The pilot eventually made it to the airport about 15 minutes late. He said he reached out to Lyft, and the company told him they were taking the matter seriously, and he would never be paired with the driver again but did not tell him if any action would be taken against the driver.
“The driver — I hope he doesn’t work for that company again,” Darryl said. “I couldn’t believe that you would abandon somebody in the parking lot. That’s crazy.”
A study from MIT earlier this year reported that drivers for ride-sharing companies Uber and Lyft make a median wage of $8.55 to $10 per hour, which is below the minimum wage in several states, including California.
Featured image by Jaap Arriens/NurPhoto via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees