This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A so-called ‘lava bomb’ hit a tour boat off the coast of Hawaii on Monday morning, injuring at least 23 people, the Hawaii County Fire Department said.
Lava and rocks from Kilauea, the erupting volcano on the Big Island, shot up and landed on the boat’s roof, seeping through and injuring almost two dozen of the passengers on board, 13 of which were taken to an area hospital for further treatment. Four of the victims treated at the hospital had to be transported by ambulance. At least one patient –a 20-something woman with a fractured femur–was in serious condition. Three passengers were in stable condition.
The fire department said 10 victims had superficial injuries and were able to be treated on site when the boat arrived back at Hawaii’s Wailoa Harbor. Witnesses who saw the boat return after the incident said they saw several people disembark with burns and gashes on their legs, and the boat was covered with rocks.
The tour boat holds almost 50 people, but it hasn’t been reported how many total passengers were on board when the lava hit.
Kilauea has been continually erupting since early May, sending lava flows oozing into suburbs on the Big Island.
Featured image by Kent Nishimura/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
*This story has been updated with new numbers of injured passengers and their conditions.
With some great bonus categories, the American Express Gold Card has a lot going for it. The card offers 4x points at US restaurants, at US supermarkets (up to $25,000; then 1x), and 3x points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com. It is currently offering a welcome bonus of 35,000 bonus points after you spend $2,000 in the first three months.
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $2,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. restaurants. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X).
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with The Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack, and Ruth's Chris Steak House. This is an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms apply.
- See Rates & Fees