This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A so-called ‘lava bomb’ hit a tour boat off the coast of Hawaii on Monday morning, injuring at least 23 people, the Hawaii County Fire Department said.
Lava and rocks from Kilauea, the erupting volcano on the Big Island, shot up and landed on the boat’s roof, seeping through and injuring almost two dozen of the passengers on board, 13 of which were taken to an area hospital for further treatment. Four of the victims treated at the hospital had to be transported by ambulance. At least one patient –a 20-something woman with a fractured femur–was in serious condition. Three passengers were in stable condition.
The fire department said 10 victims had superficial injuries and were able to be treated on site when the boat arrived back at Hawaii’s Wailoa Harbor. Witnesses who saw the boat return after the incident said they saw several people disembark with burns and gashes on their legs, and the boat was covered with rocks.
The tour boat holds almost 50 people, but it hasn’t been reported how many total passengers were on board when the lava hit.
Kilauea has been continually erupting since early May, sending lava flows oozing into suburbs on the Big Island.
Featured image by Kent Nishimura/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
*This story has been updated with new numbers of injured passengers and their conditions.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards