A ‘Lava Bomb’ Hits Tour Boat in Hawaii, Injures 23
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A so-called ‘lava bomb’ hit a tour boat off the coast of Hawaii on Monday morning, injuring at least 23 people, the Hawaii County Fire Department said.
Lava and rocks from Kilauea, the erupting volcano on the Big Island, shot up and landed on the boat’s roof, seeping through and injuring almost two dozen of the passengers on board, 13 of which were taken to an area hospital for further treatment. Four of the victims treated at the hospital had to be transported by ambulance. At least one patient –a 20-something woman with a fractured femur–was in serious condition. Three passengers were in stable condition.
The fire department said 10 victims had superficial injuries and were able to be treated on site when the boat arrived back at Hawaii’s Wailoa Harbor. Witnesses who saw the boat return after the incident said they saw several people disembark with burns and gashes on their legs, and the boat was covered with rocks.
The tour boat holds almost 50 people, but it hasn’t been reported how many total passengers were on board when the lava hit.
Kilauea has been continually erupting since early May, sending lava flows oozing into suburbs on the Big Island.
Featured image by Kent Nishimura/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
*This story has been updated with new numbers of injured passengers and their conditions.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.