This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
A so-called ‘lava bomb’ hit a tour boat off the coast of Hawaii on Monday morning, injuring at least 23 people, the Hawaii County Fire Department said.
Lava and rocks from Kilauea, the erupting volcano on the Big Island, shot up and landed on the boat’s roof, seeping through and injuring almost two dozen of the passengers on board, 13 of which were taken to an area hospital for further treatment. Four of the victims treated at the hospital had to be transported by ambulance. At least one patient –a 20-something woman with a fractured femur–was in serious condition. Three passengers were in stable condition.
The fire department said 10 victims had superficial injuries and were able to be treated on site when the boat arrived back at Hawaii’s Wailoa Harbor. Witnesses who saw the boat return after the incident said they saw several people disembark with burns and gashes on their legs, and the boat was covered with rocks.
The tour boat holds almost 50 people, but it hasn’t been reported how many total passengers were on board when the lava hit.
Kilauea has been continually erupting since early May, sending lava flows oozing into suburbs on the Big Island.
Featured image by Kent Nishimura/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.
*This story has been updated with new numbers of injured passengers and their conditions.
The American Express Platinum card has some of the best perks out there: cardholders enjoy the best domestic lounge access (Delta SkyClubs, Centurion Lounges, and Priority Pass), a $200 annual airline fee credit as well as up to $200 in Uber credits, and mid-tier elite status at SPG, Marriott, and Hilton. Combined with the 60,000 point welcome offer -- worth $1,140 based on TPG's valuations -- this card is a no-brainer for frequent travelers. Here are 5 reasons you should consider this card, as well as how you can figure out if the $550 annual fee makes sense for you.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees