This Is Your Last Chance to See a Supermoon This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Don’t forget to look up at the sky tonight, because the last supermoon of the year will rise this evening.
The third and final supermoon of 2019 — called the Super Worm Moon because it’s the time of year when earthworms emerge after the long winter — follows last month’s Super Snow Moon and the Super Blood Wolf Moon in January. As far as supermoons go, this one is even more special because it coincides with the spring equinox. This celestial timing hasn’t happened since the year 2000, according to Earthsky.org.
Supermoons occur when a full moon is at the point in its orbit when it’s closest to Earth, making it appear larger and brighter than normal. Technically, the moon actually reached its perigree (the point closest to Earth) yesterday, but it won’t be a completely full moon until tonight at 9:43pm ET, Earthsky reported. Still, the best time to see it is right at dusk.
Once it rises, you won’t need a telescope or any special equipment to admire the satellite. Just look up at the night sky and enjoy the celestial spectacle. And of course, if you happen to be on a plane tonight, be sure to snag a window seat (even if you’re more of an aisle person).
Aside from being pretty to look at, these supermoons have cultural and environmental significance, too. And you don’t have to be into astrology to believe in its effects.
“It has a bigger impact on the force of the tides than a lot of people might imagine,” Tristan Gooley, author of “The Nature Instinct” and editor of The Natural Navigator, told Forbes. “If you’re within 20 miles of the coast you’ll notice an impact on the behavior of birds and all animals.”
After this, there won’t be another supermoon until April 8, 2020. And the next time a supermoon coincides with the vernal equinox? Not until a decade later, in March 2030.
Featured photo by Nutkamol Komolvanich / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees