Super Bowl Flights Are Insane, but Some Hotels Still Available Using Points
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Super Bowl LIII will take over the city of Atlanta this weekend, as fans of the Patriots, Rams and NFL in general descend on the city. If you’re looking for a last-minute trip to Atlanta to join in the fun, however, you better be prepared to empty your mileage accounts, especially for flights from the participants’ cities.
Delta’s nonstop flights from Boston (BOS) on Saturday Feb. 2 with a return on Monday Feb. 4 start at 150,000 SkyMiles:
American at least has saver awards available from Los Angeles (LAX) on Saturday, though they do require a stop:
The return, however, will set you back 75,000 AAdvantage miles for a one-way ticket:
United also has several low-level economy awards available from its Los Angeles hub:
However, if you want to fly back to LAX on Monday, you better have a United cobranded credit card, as there are no economy awards available for travelers without one. However, when I login to my MileagePlus account (I have the United Explorer Card), I see a few options, albeit at a hard-to-swallow 32,500 miles one-way:
Bear in mind too that both American and United tack on a $75 additional fee for these last-minute award tickets, though this is waived or discounted if you hold elite status in either the AAdvantage or MileagePlus program.
Amazingly enough, however, there are still select hotels available on points, and given the paid rates over the weekend, you’re likely to get some outsized value for award stays. I’m seeing especially good options in the Buckhead area, like the Fairfield Inn & Suites Atlanta Buckhead:
This could possibly be the best Category 3 redemption you’d ever book, as nonrefundable paid rates for the two-night stay are $671 per night. When you include taxes and fees, you’d get a value of 4.5 cents per point, over five times TPG’s most recent valuations.
Hilton Honors has three properties in Buckhead available for standard awards:
Paid member rates at these properties are $735, $513.52 and $881 per night, giving you a redemption value of 1.84, 1.71 and 2.52 cents per point (respectively).
All available Hyatt properties are either near the airport or 10+ miles outside the city, but I’d be tempted by the Hyatt Place Atlanta/Perimeter Center for just 5,000 points per night:
With taxes and fees, you’re booking $659.65 worth of lodging for just 10,000 points, giving you a fantastic redemption value of 6.6 cents per point. Even more appealing? The property is just a half mile from a MARTA station, giving you easy access to downtown and the Big Game’s festivities.
If any of these sound appealing, I would recommend booking sooner rather than later, as availability was changing even as I was searching. And be sure to pay close attention to the cancellation policies. Given the last-minute nature of these reservations, you’re likely locked in once you confirm the stay.
(All availability above accurate at time of writing but could change at any time).
Featured image courtesy of Tom Baker / EyeEm via Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees