Last Day: Avios Award Prices to Fly on American Airlines and Alaska Airlines Increasing Tomorrow
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This is it — the new British Airways partner award chart kicks in tomorrow (May 30). But, since British Airways is British, its clocks might say “tomorrow” a bit sooner than ours — so time’s just about up. If you want to book your family’s flights on partners such as American Airlines, Alaska, etc. from around 6,000 total British Airways Avios each way by stacking offers, it’s now or never.
Here’s what we think the new British Airways partner award chart will look like beginning tomorrow, though British Airways has not confirmed this so it is just an educated guess.
Likely Price Increases
- Routes of up to 650 flown miles are increasing within the US from 7,500 to 9,000 Avios one-way in economy. (Ex. Miami to Orlando)
- Routes of 651 – 1,151 flown miles increasing from 7,500 Avios to 9,000 Avios one-way in economy. (Ex. Dallas to Cancun)
- Routes of 1,152 – 2,000 flown miles increasing from 10,000 Avios to 11,000 Avios one-way in economy. (Ex. Chicago to Miami)
- Routes of 2,001 – 3,000 flown miles increasing from 12,500 Avios to 13,000 Avios one-way in economy. (Ex. Los Angeles to Honolulu)
This means some shorter family-friendly domestic flights such as Washington, DC to New York City, Miami to Orlando and Los Angeles to San Francisco will jump from 7,500 Avios to 9,000 Avios each way in economy and from 15,000 Avios to 16,500 Avios in business class. Those aren’t earth-shattering increases, but they are increases.
If you stack the current award chart prices with the 30% transfer bonus from Chase Ultimate Rewards (that runs until June 16), awards on American and Alaska (or other British Airways partners) can currently be booked from just 5,770 transferred Chase Ultimate Rewards points on the shortest haul awards.
For a family of four, that comes to less than 50,000 total transferred points from Chase from cards such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card or Chase Sapphire Reserve for a round-trip journey — as long as the nonstop flights on a British Airways partner airline are no more than 1,151 flown miles each way.
If stretching your miles on a British Airways partner is on your family’s summer travel to-do list, you need to book now or plan to spend a few more points starting tomorrow. If you aren’t sure where to start, you could look into using your Avios to fly in a lie-flat seat to Mexico or to fund your family’s next beach vacation flights.
Did you squeeze in any last-minute British Avios redemptions using the current award chart?
Featured image by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first six months of card membership.
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Earn 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming services and 3% cash back on transit. Plus earn 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%) and 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed for statement credits.
- Earn a $300 statement credit after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Buy Now, Pay Later: Enjoy $0 plan fees when you use Plan It® to split up large purchases into monthly installments. Pay $0 plan fees on plans created during the first 12 months after account opening. Plans created after that will have a plan fee up to 1.33% of each purchase amount moved into a plan based on the plan duration, the APR that would otherwise apply to the purchase, and other factors.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases from the date of account opening, then a variable rate, 13.99% to 23.99%
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%).
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more).
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Cash Back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees